Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is the Stock Crank Pulley Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is the Stock Crank Pulley Obsolete?

Is there a certain hp number? Looking at making around 700whp and had someone tell me that it wasn't going to be "good enough" to make that much hp. If I have to get one I definitely don't want to spend $450 on an ATI balancer! lol So, if the answer is "yes, it needs to be replaced" what is a good balancer for someone on a budget?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Check out the power bond ones. I heard their great. And I know they ain't $450. As far as I know it doesn't become obsolete. But it does become recommended when you install a cam. Your going to pick up a good 4-7 rwhp from just a pulley upgrade. There is pros and cons. Best thing to do is some reading.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never heard of a stock balancer being "not good enough". its just one of those mods that is optional like 100% of all mods, but itsnt necessarily required to make a setup work.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when you want to make power, you need to have a good damper/balancer...

stock stops being "good enough" around 700 HP...
you will shorten your engine life quite a bit from vibrations...especially when you go to higher than stock design rpm's

also, at about 7000 RPM, it becomes extremely important to go back to a stock size pulley that is a true damper... Like the ATI..
at teh point when you start spinning higher rpm's, you will find that you make more power with a stock size ATI Damper than you will with any standard underdrive pulley

you will pay a few more dollars for the ATI, but your engine will last longer.

do guys do more on a stock pulley... yes....
should you...probably not.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you! My setup in specific will be a bit of a lopey cam, and a turbo. Doubt that makes much difference. The motor has main studs in it now to help keep the crank from walking. lol Looks like I should probably just look into getting one. Anyone else have opinions/reviews on the power bond pulleys?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah.. When I talked to My buddy Bob over at www.aeicnc.com about my Moroso Crankcase Vacuum Kit with custom bracket to mount it in the stock AC pump location..
we talked about the crank pulley with ATI...the Moroso Pump uses a crank hub that ATI makes to work with their Damper as a kit for the Vacuum Pump
ATI says that at about 700-800 dependent on how well your shortblock is balanced, you really need a true Damper and not just a balancer/pulley
the ATI is the main one that all the hardcore guys use and the one that NASCAR and NHRA use...its not just on there because of being a sponsor, its there because does its job properly
ATI also recommends that you go with the bigger stock size damper at the 700-800 HP level and not use an underdrive pulley... the mass and size of it allows for better control and will actually allow you to see more horsepower than using an underdrive pulley to slow down accessories
it becomes even more important to use the larger stock size damper when you start spinning to 7000 or higher rpm's

Quick Reply: When is the Stock Crank Pulley Obsolete?