Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sent my power steering pulley flying today

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Sent my power steering pulley flying today

So over the past couple weeks of doing my lq4 swap Ive been plagued with problems with my power steering.I had hidden leaks and after replacing all the seals and taking my pulley off/on a few times I found that my leak was on the high pressure line itself and finally replaced it and ended what I though was my issue.From all the fluid leaking onto my alternator..it died last week and I replaced it with a truck 140amp alternator.All was well...A solid week of no leaks..working charging system..I was having fun beating on my car again.

Jump to today,nice bright sunny day.I was home and felt like going to get a nice coffee this afternoon.I take my ttops off and start her up for a few mins to warm up.Got my sun glasses on..jumped in and began to depart from my driveway.As I started to turn the wheel it felt like I was just hit the fully turned wheel lock but the wheels were straight.Hmm so I try turning the wheel a lil harder in both directions..not even 1/4 turn and it stops WTF.Popped the hood and im looking and see no reason for the symptoms but I noticed small pieces of belt shavings..uh oh I thought.So I figured the ps pump is probably shot and locking up.I start driving and give her hell and cranked the wheel saying F you...I got ten feet and see a cloud of smoke pour out under the hood lol.Shut er down..open the hood and notice a few things.My belt was still at my driveway intact for the most part,the ps pulley sheered right off the press fitting and went the opposite direction down my street,my ps reservoir was melted almost in half by my belt.

Luckily I had a spare pulley and reservoir bnib so the repair was done in a timely fashion but wow..do these plastic pulleys come off from the center often...why are they even plastic to begin with lol.I hope there are steel replacements..I can see this happening again the way I drive haha.
Attached Thumbnails Sent my power steering pulley flying today-toronto-20120409-00115.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had this happen on an LS conversion we did.Had to replace a damaged pulley.We made it from California to Ohio before we niticed it walking off the shaft.Picked up a bolt and washer and loctitied it in and it made it home with no problems at all and will likely remain this way.