Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker super comp + new tsp y = no work

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hooker super comp + new tsp y = no work

just want to share:

i have a set of hooker super comp 1 7/8 headers. i purchased one of the new tsp ss ypipe setups to use with it. this combination will not work together. no matter how it is assembled, one of the pipes will need roughly 4" cut off of it to bring the y closer to the engine. we measued mine repeatedly and made the cuts in 1-1.5" increments before settling where it's at now.

on wednesday i tried assembling this under the car in my garage for roughly 1.5 hours, before conceding to the fact it won't work. fast forward to yesterday - borrowed a buddy's lift and figured out exactly what was up. if i left all of the connections very loose the y would barely go together, but the exit was right on the torque arm. i ended up cutting on the short piece that attaches to the driver's side header. it brought the y closer and also put the exit of the y over where it needed to be. connected it to my factory i pipe and done.

i must say, i'm very happy with the quality of the y and piping. not crazy about the ubolt clamps that came with it, so i bought a few (3) more band clamps.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Post some pics when you can. Curious to see the modification you had to do
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just cut off the non-belled end of the pipe in 1-1.5" increments until it worked. i was beyond frustrated weds night because i had to drive this car to work the rest of the week haha. i leave for work about 2:30 am lol my neighbors i'm sure were not happy.

edit: i don't have any pics and you can't tell what i've done at this point anyhow.