Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header wrap questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header wrap questions..

I have a set of ceramic coated pacesetters on the car snd after 3 years of having to sit outside, they look pretty rough. Collectors are rusted over and long tubes are starting to get spots..

My wife and I just bought a house and so now that the car has a garage, the cleaning and build process has began. Therefore, the look of the headers is killing me! Im about to install heads and thought about wrapping the headers during the process to cover up the ugly mess. Anyone have pictures/ advice?? Pros, cons, dos and dont's..
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have never wrapped a set myself but i have been up close and personal on several cars with wrapped headers. seems like it would help reduce the heat a lot. I am interested in hearing what someone with first hand experiences has to say. I usually just hit them with a wire wheel to clean them up, then wash them off real good, clean them with prep all, hang them on a wire, heat them up with a torch and spay them with some high temp header paint.
p.s. the torch isn't necessary but for experience i think heating them up prior to painting really helps the paint stick and bond to the metal alot better.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Wrapping headers can be a bitch to do. However, it'll keep the headers hotter and the engine compartment cooler. Hotter headers has some advantages: The O2 sensors will stay hotter and the exhaust gasses will flow more freely.

I've never seen a dyno test but it's said to help performance. It all makes sense to me, I'd do it if I had headers. Just cooling down the underhood temps a bit would be reason enough for me.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wrap them just make sure you dont overlap the wrap too much,you dont want them to get too hot and warp or crack.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just like to see pics or hear from experience someone who has done them..