Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked driver side catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked driver side catalytic converter

Hey guys, been a stalker for awhile, this place is great to diagnose issues.

Have one I couldn't find anything on though...

Started with a small tapping (exhaust leak) and then grew louder and louder until I had exhaust coming out from under the hood and through the air vents inside the car... looked like Uncle Buck's car was on fire if I came to a stop.

Had it looked at, and my left cat is cracked. The guy said my car was held up to California emissions which has stricter exhaust standards, blah blah blah. He quoted the job at $750. I called another shop and they went higher, at $780.

Does that seem legit? The car needs to pass inspection in November, I'm in need of plugs and wires, new tires, the thing rolls in park, my driver's side window is f-ed up. It's a 2000 Z28 with 140,000 miles on it.

I guess what I really want to know is if it's worth it. This is my third Camaro (had a '92 and a '79 before) and as much as I love my cars, I've had it with the expensive repairs. I'm sick of pouring money into it. What would you guys do?

Be nice, I'm a girl.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can always find a good deal on used cats in the for sale section. Check ebay for some also. Magnaflow also makes a hi-flow cat that's OBDII compliant but you would have to do both cats for that and u can get a pair of those cheap. Always cheaper to get your own parts and just pay for labor or get a friend to do it if u cant do it yourself. Hope this helps some ;P
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have the crack welded shut.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get used cats for $100 each + shipping.or weld it.test the plug wires before you replace them.remove the coil packs to remove the spark plugs.the right rear plug comes out from below and behind the motor.you can get tires on craigslist for cheap.you should have the tranny looked at,some one was not nice to it.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

I have a set of stock manifolds for sale. PM me if youre interested
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 AM

I just picked up a stock setup with low miles on it. Thanks for the advice, guys!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will have to remove the door panel to see whats wrong with the window.you should remove the trans pan to make sure the shifter is in the correct detent.I feel you will have to drop the trans and have some parts replaced.

Quick Reply: cracked driver side catalytic converter