Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whining noise?

i had a noise that sounds like a bad belt so i replaced my serpentine belt on saturday and the sound went away but i know have a sound kinda the same but maybe a bad pulley what do you guys think anyone else had this problem? i really hate when my car makes noises
Old 04-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98ls1
i had a noise that sounds like a bad belt so i replaced my serpentine belt on saturday and the sound went away but i know have a sound kinda the same but maybe a bad pulley what do you guys think anyone else had this problem? i really hate when my car makes noises
anybody?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i may have an idea of what you are talking about...does it whine only when its cold outside?? i had that problem but only when i start up the car in cold weather. do a search i remember reading a post about it before.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

It does it all the time and it gets louder as I give the car more gas but I can't really hear anything at idle
Old 04-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

anybody you think it might be my power steering pulley
Old 04-06-2004, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Thats what it sounds like to me my 94 had a bad power steering pump whine especially when you got it under load but when i put the ASP pulley set on the whine went away its an expensive fix either way
Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Default i have the same problem

I have the exact same problem right now. i have a 98 trans am A4 and i replaced the serpentine belt to try to fix the noise. the noise is still thier but if i put belt drssing on it, the noise goes away temperarly. When i start the car i dont hear it and when its at idle its not noticable. but whenver i gun it or give it gas the whine goes louder and more annoying. i think its the pulleys and im taking my car in to have it checkedout by LS1-Speed. Im hoping its just teh idleler pulley or the crank pulley cause you have buy both tham in a set for aroun 200$.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by andrew1
I have the exact same problem right now. i have a 98 trans am A4 and i replaced the serpentine belt to try to fix the noise. the noise is still thier but if i put belt drssing on it, the noise goes away temperarly. When i start the car i dont hear it and when its at idle its not noticable. but whenver i gun it or give it gas the whine goes louder and more annoying. i think its the pulleys and im taking my car in to have it checkedout by LS1-Speed. Im hoping its just teh idleler pulley or the crank pulley cause you have buy both tham in a set for aroun 200$.
Ok well let me know what they say cause i cant deal with this noise it makes me feel bad like im hurting my car i cant handle it
Old 04-07-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

the pullies you need are the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley from any auto parts store, should be somewhere between 18-30 bucks for the two of them together. seems the tensioner pulley goes out relatively quick. there has been a few posts about this same issue. i had a slight whine when i got the car at 38k miles. changed the serp belt and both pulleys at 40k miles and that took care of it. if i drive the car when its cold out (under 30 degrees) and the car hasn't had a few minutes to warm up it will still whine very slightly but once its warmed up...no more squeek or whine.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slik98z
the pullies you need are the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley from any auto parts store, should be somewhere between 18-30 bucks for the two of them together. seems the tensioner pulley goes out relatively quick. there has been a few posts about this same issue. i had a slight whine when i got the car at 38k miles. changed the serp belt and both pulleys at 40k miles and that took care of it. if i drive the car when its cold out (under 30 degrees) and the car hasn't had a few minutes to warm up it will still whine very slightly but once its warmed up...no more squeek or whine.
Can you give more information on the pullies? i was thinknig abotu buying a crank and idler pully off a site and its liek $200 for the 2 of them. if i can buy the cheaper ones then it wouldnt hurt to try them out and see if they fix the noise. What are the modle numbers? What store did you get them from and how much was it to install?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

i had a mechanic look at it and he said it seems like the belt is slipping on the water pump and he said i should try and get a belt from gm instead of a dayco
Old 04-09-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you use teh dayco poly cog belt? mine would always slip and there is another part number for the dayco pm me if you'd like the part number from a non-sponser site. mine did the exact same thing even with the new pullies and i did find out it was the belt i was using too.