Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fans not working...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fans not working...help

I am rebuilding a totalled car. The fans did work before the motor was removed..now they do not. I put it in A/c...no fans. If i jumper/ground relay one...it clicks but no fan. Jumper relay 2...sometimes I get one fan but relay always clicks. Jumper/ground relay 3....clicks...no fan. I have replaced relays to no avail. I took out fans and tested them on the ground...the both work. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

are any of the wires damaged under the fuse panel on the drivers side? you can pull it out easy, just 2 screwdrivers to push the tabs back.

(by memory) the fans should get the power from the large red battery cable, through a maxi fuse, and that should power the 3 relays.

test for power on the large gauge wire to the 3 relays You should have 12 volts to each relay, even with car off.

provided the relays get high current power, then that will make trouble shooting them easier.

go to the 10 pin connector pass fender well, pin J is the low speed fan, open that connector, and put that pin to ground with a jumper wire (front part of connector) you should get 1 relay clicking.

Does this work? and does the fan turn on (guessing no fan, but does it click?)

now with car still off, go to pin H and ground that, you should get the 2 high speed relays to kick on now.

Does this work, and does the fan turn on (guessing no, but do you feel the 2 relays click?)

post your findings, good luck.

Ryan
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

thanks! I will try this...wires are fine but you gave me something to look at. I will let you know in a few days when I get to work on the car again.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

I did as you said. J wire grounded gets one relay to click. Ground H and two other relays click and the PASSENGER fan only comes on. (ignition off) I did a continuity check from the relays to the fan connectors and all was good. I dunno what to try next. I have power at the relays (thick wires). Any more ideas?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'll check on my car later today, and see if i can get any more ideas.

Weird that only the high speed works, on one side only.

I guess the only thing i can think of, right now, is connect both H and J at the black connector, to ground, (with fans unplugged) and test the fan harnesses for power. (and ground)

as im thinking it might be a ground issue if you have power, and the relays work. double check the ground wires are good, (and i'll try to see if i find out where the factory ground is for the fan harness)

good luck.

Ryan

Ryan