Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow cats position???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high flow cats position???

So I'm having a buddy weld high flow cats into my y pipe. The car is lowered in the front. They're the magna flow direct fit high flow cats. the ORY is the TSP 3". He says the driver side will have to be welded at the collector of the header because further back will run into issues with the fuel line, trans line, and being to close to the floor board. The passenger side we can weld a little further back. My question is does anybody have pics of where they welded their cats in, and if we weld them in these locations will there be a sound difference more than normal when you put cats on. The car is a 2001 trans am. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cats are right off my headers...mine are clamped in. I (as in me) would never consider welding cats, especially to headers. I don't claim to be an expert though.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Why not weld cats? I appreciate the advice.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in my case, again no expert, headers are a pita to remove already, at least without a lift. Then youre welding a failure prone thing (on a modified setup anyway) to something you'd rather not have to shitcan or cut (headers) or remove to replace a failed cat. I mean if it's what you've got to do, it's what you've got to do...but my reflex is to oppose welding anything to headers...one inconvenient experience on my part.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Good advice about replacing a cat as it happens more often with modded set ups than factory lol! I'll see if I can clamp them. I'll have my buddy weld it as a last resort! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Welding is a bad idea! Fabricated them so they're slip fit that way they can be easily removed or switched out.

Quick Reply: high flow cats position???