Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-1998 LS1 Trans Am Auto A/C problems-

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -1998 LS1 Trans Am Auto A/C problems-

I might be posting this in the wrong place but I'm new to this site and haven't used it to much. But I have a 1998 Trans Am and my A/C is not blowing cold no more. If someone can please give me some information I will be so so happy because it is so hot!!!
-I'm not sure if my compressor is bad or not but how do I find out if it is or isn't
-If it isn't how do I find out if my lines are being blocked.
-What PSI show my A/C be at? (if my compressor is not bad) and (if it is)
-If all I have to do is charge it what PSI should it be at after it is charged.

I know it is alot of information to type up but I really could use help.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some gauges and hook them up. Generally I like to see the pressures at about 35 and 225 but they will vary based on temp and humidity outside. Post up what the pressures are and I will provide info as I can. (I'm a A/C tech).

If your pressures are equal, say 110 and 110, look at the front of the compressor. If the front isn't spinning (clutch not engaged) then something isn't letting the compressor come on and you have to find out what with an electrical diagnosis (will continue this in a sec) If your pressures are both low say 30 and 30 then there may not be enough refridgerant in the system for the compressor to come on. If the clutch is spinning then the compressor is most likely "neutralized" meaning the internals of the compressor are shot and it needs to be replaced. If the pressures are wacky say 30 and 350 or maybe -10 and 250 or some other wacky pressure then you most likely have a fan not working, high speed fan speed not working, or a blockage.

If the compressor is not coming on then check the lead to the coil on the compressor and see if you have power and ground. If you do then the coil is bad and it needs to be replaced (if this was the case and it was my car I would replace the whole compressor because it's about as much work and not much more cost) If you don't have power then you need to test the various load devices in the system (high pressure switch, Low pressure switch, thermistor, control head, relay and fuse).

This about covers the basics. There are other things that can cause ur problem but all will be told by looking at the pressures.

Report back with what u find and I will be happy to help.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much I will let you know ASAP
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Also, if you are low on charge and recharge the system, you will hear the compressor kick on but if you lose A/C in a day or so, you have a leak somewhere. Leak detector kits can help you find where it's at, hopefully it's not at the compressor.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Sorry for getting back so late but I check my A/C and the Clutch is not engaging. Where do I go from here? Does anyone have a Wiring diagram for the A/C?

Quick Reply: -1998 LS1 Trans Am Auto A/C problems-