Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might Buy LS1 Car With Security Light On, 500 Miles Away

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might Buy LS1 Car With Security Light On, 500 Miles Away

I'm planning on buying an LS1 this saturday and then driving it about 500 miles home. I'm flying up for a family gathering, car is 1 hour 40 minutes away from gathering, I plan to drive it back to San Diego. Seller says its from the previous owner's stereo install and also because of this the steering wheel controls for the radio do not work. He says it does not cause any problems or throw any codes, always starts.

Will I be alright or can this security problem get worse at any time? I just don't wanna stop for gas and not be able to start it back up. I suppose I can bring tools and resisters and do the vats bypass mod in 15-30 minutes if I have a problem. What do you think?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I don't know if it helps any but I've owned my current SS for over 2 years now and the security light has been on since the day I test drove it before I even bought it, lol. It has never given me one problem and has never failed to start. My previous SS, a 00' model automatic also had a security light on and never had an issue with it. I only owned that car for 3 months though. And yet again, my 94 Z28, I drove that car for almost four years with a security light and an ABS light, put over 50k miles on that car and never had an issue. I think I'll fix my light in my current car by the "bulb removal method", lol. Sorry as I don't know what causes the issue exactly (Never given me a reason to find out...) but none of my cars with security lights ever gave me a single problem. I would drive it if it was me and I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
11 Second Club

Buy a new stereo that can hook up to the steering wheel controls.. because that would be annoying without them lol
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

i believe that light is typically due to the security sensor in the hatch area getting wet and therefore acting screwy. my light has been "on" since i bought the car 3 years ago and all i did was disconnect the hatch sensor and put 2 layers of electric tape where the light would shine thru and everything has been fine and the rest of the security system still functions properly too
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix for this is actually simple, you need to fine out what resistance the chip in the key is. I.E 2.9K ohm through 3.1k ohm and buy a resistor that matches the keys resistance. Then remove the panel below the steering wheel. Your looking for the yellow ignition connector it has 2 wires going into it. Place the resistor in the connector from behind, use some electrical tape to secure it and your security light will go out and function the proper way.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I do feel a lot better now based on your experiences. I know what you mean about the stereo controls on the wheel, at least I do now that I've driven an Acura that has them, just being able to adjust the volume alone is very useful. I'll take a look at the hatch too and try that. I searched through pages of "VATS bypass" and "security light on" stuff and they were all about how to fix it. I know how to do it and will be prepared, just making sure if I should be worried or not. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine has been on for the last 4 or 5 years and never had a problem. I've done the resistor byspass and the light stayed on and then for the heck of it I unplugged it and it still started but the light still stayed. If the resistor doesn't help the light once you get it just take the bulb out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Might Buy LS1 Car With Security Light On, 500 Miles Away