Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust, cut-out based question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust, cut-out based question....

Ok, I know this fits in as kind of a newb question, so Ill ask it in here, if its not the proper sub forum feel free to move it.

I have a 98 Camaro (build thread in my sig), that is literaly bone stock down to the factory muffler. So needless to say, its super quiet and the muffler is starting to get rot holes in it.

After reading, and researching Ive decided that over the winter, I will be doing LTs and a ORY, but im still unsure of the catback that I want. Thats not my question tho.....

I did notice alot of guys do cut-outs on thier ls cars, and they seem to love them, even on stocker cars like mine. With there only being a month or so left of the racing season, and my factory muffler rotting, Im in a debate of just cutting it off, and installing a turn down for now. Either before the axle or after, not sure.

Wouldnt this be the same thing as running a cut-out on the car? Do u guys think Id pick up any power doing this? I know itll be loud, but its only temporary. I just dont want to hurt the cars performance or anything.

Anyone ran thier car like this? If so, where would u reccomend cutting it at? Like i said, the car is stock, down to the muffler and cats.

Any help is appreciated,
Dale
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Teching In

i dont think there would be a noticeable power difference. exhaust gas would still have to travel the length of the car thru factory size pipes. most people with cutouts have them on the y-pipe close to manifolds. if you do dump exhaust before axle, it will be louder inside car vs dumping behind axle.

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

I cut the factory muffler off just after the intermediate pipe goes over the axle. It definately provides a performance increase and if you cut it in the right place you basically have a turn down already. This is loud as fawk so be aware im already half deaf and I only lasted about a month before I called bull **** and had a resonator installed in front of the axle to tame it a bit
Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHDY 5.7
Ok, I know this fits in as kind of a newb question, so Ill ask it in here, if its not the proper sub forum feel free to move it.

I have a 98 Camaro (build thread in my sig), that is literaly bone stock down to the factory muffler. So needless to say, its super quiet and the muffler is starting to get rot holes in it.

After reading, and researching Ive decided that over the winter, I will be doing LTs and a ORY, but im still unsure of the catback that I want. Thats not my question tho.....

I did notice alot of guys do cut-outs on thier ls cars, and they seem to love them, even on stocker cars like mine. With there only being a month or so left of the racing season, and my factory muffler rotting, Im in a debate of just cutting it off, and installing a turn down for now. Either before the axle or after, not sure.

Wouldnt this be the same thing as running a cut-out on the car? Do u guys think Id pick up any power doing this? I know itll be loud, but its only temporary. I just dont want to hurt the cars performance or anything.

Anyone ran thier car like this? If so, where would u reccomend cutting it at? Like i said, the car is stock, down to the muffler and cats.

Any help is appreciated,
Dale
Most people put their cutouts right before the axle under the passengers seat so we aren't talking but a little bit more exaust pipe on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I would say most install the cutout in the into pipe just at the point of the big dimple in the floor pan on the pass side. A cutout is worth on average a .1 in the 1/4. Depends on how restrictive the rest of your exhaust is. I saw 10 rwhp at peak on the dyno and as much as 18 in other areas of the curve. This was back in 2000 with a bolt on car and a hurtles cat back(3.5").

Quick Reply: Exhaust, cut-out based question....