Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install help please

i am installing hooker lts on my 98 z and got some problems. for one how do you get the oil stick pulled completely out. we unbolted it from the side of the motor and still cant get it out. the next is the steering shaft, do you take out both ends or just one, i have tried and the bolt on top is like glued on or something because i cant break it loose. please any advice or steps would be usefull. thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

the oil tube just pulls out from the base - you may have to pry it with a
flat screw driver. There is a small ring around the base where it seats.

As for the steering - I did not have to remove it for the PPC long tubes. The
key was getting the front end high enough off the ground. It was 36" off
the ground at the point of the front bumper. If you have the jack under
the front cross member, remove it and keep the car raised by ramps/boards
under the front wheels. With the jack under the cross member it does not
let you get the right angle to do the drivers side header. At least that is
what I found.

Also, before putting in the passenger side I would wrap some high heat
tape around the wires running from the PCM down near the header. It may
prevent problems later.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

My dipstick came out without much trouble at all. I just pulled up after unbolting it from the block. Maybe a little wiggle and a good tug would help.

As for the steering shaft, I removed it to get my headers in. I unbolted the top bolt first. Then the bottom bolt came next. It did require the use of an extension and universal to get to it. Once it broke free, I slid it off of the rack and up the steering shaft.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Broken041
My dipstick came out without much trouble at all. I just pulled up after unbolting it from the block. Maybe a little wiggle and a good tug would help.

As for the steering shaft, I removed it to get my headers in. I unbolted the top bolt first. Then the bottom bolt came next. It did require the use of an extension and universal to get to it. Once it broke free, I slid it off of the rack and up the steering shaft.

Hope that helps.
I removed mine as well. Just make sure your steering wheel is locked and remove the bolts at the top and bottom of the shaft. It is a pain in the *** and the only part of the install that gave me trouble. The only trouble the dipstick gave me was when I was reinstalling it and bolting it back down.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
I removed mine as well. Just make sure your steering wheel is locked and remove the bolts at the top and bottom of the shaft. It is a pain in the *** and the only part of the install that gave me trouble. The only trouble the dipstick gave me was when I was reinstalling it and bolting it back down.

I had problems getting the dipstick back in as well. Before you pull it all the way out (just a good tug is all it shoud take) I'd look feel for where it goes in. I had to pull the starter cuz I couldnt find the hole.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also be sure to watch closely that that GM flat washer/lock washer or what ever that thing is that is attached to the hex nut that locks down the universal spline doesn't interfere with the header when you rotate the steering wheel. My was so close it hit the header pipe so I removed it and installed a lock washer and a SS hex nut in its place.