Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with maf id

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with maf id

since i purchased my car i have noticed unusually poor gas milage. it gets about 15 mpg highway and way worse around town. car has no cel light or codes stored. i noticed when cleaning the air filter that the maf does not appear to be stock. i am guessing the po installed it and did not tune it. car has headers, borla, and a g2 lid. i can hear a pop from the tailpipes while shifting between wot blasts so i am hoping my gas milage issue may be caused by a rich condition thats not enough to flash the cel light caused by different readings from the aftermarket maf. does anyone know what maf this is? im hoping maybe someone has the same one installed on their car. any info would be great, thank you.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Teching In

so nobody has ever seen a maf like this on any other ls1 car?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been descreened for sure, and possibly ported. That will definitely disrupt airflow.

I'd personally ditch it and get a stock one on there. After a lengthy conversation with arguably one of the best LSX tuners on the planet, there's no way in hell I'd run a MAF without a screen. **Personal Opinion**
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

so am i correct to assume this is the majority of my fuel milage issue? everything ive read indicates my car should get closer to 23mpg hwy, not 15.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a strong possibility. You're saying you're not getting any CEL's... But I still wonder about the simple "tune up" things that affect mileage.

Plugs, wires, dirty MAF (or descreened and ported in your case) O2 sensors, air & fuel filters...

Quick Reply: help with maf id