Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Band clamp question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Band clamp question.

I'm having a bad leak on my LG long tubes on the collectors to cat. right now they are single bolt band clamps on both sides, preformed it seems and thicker then what I bought. I figure I can at least tackle this job...

I bought 2 3" easy seal band clamps that come flat and conform to the pipe for a good seal.

Will I be able to remove the single bolt band clamps without taking the exhaust all apart? it's all slip-fit, I'm hoping they will bend so I can get them off as they are preformed.

Better to ask before I try and tackle it myself, if not I'll take it to the shop as I have been wanting to put my off road pipes on anyways, I just don't have have anyway to get it high enough to take it all apart.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless its tack welded on somewhere, it should come right off. Completely remove the bolt and you should be able to 'peel' it off with one hand
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have band clamps.
When you untighten them, they should expand/enlarge on their own.
The more difficult part was to slide the header free of the exhaust pipe.
If you are removing the headers, just turn them back & forth while pulling them forward. As long as the exhaust pipe is stationary, the header will pull right out.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Well i got one side on, but the passenger side band clamp will not work as the 02 bung is in the way so the 3" band clamp will only cover an inch of the joint before it hits the bung and won't seal.

Luckily that side i didn't have issues with, I wonder what else I could use there tho.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Cut a relief in the clamp, so it will slide further towards the sensor bung. Or, put a hole in the clamp, remove the sensor, install the clamp???
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Pretty good idea, I was thinking besides that to see if i could slide the cat back further so i could get more room, these clamps must be designed to seal with the joint right in the middle of the clamp, well obviously.

Quick Reply: Band clamp question.