Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bbk intake install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bbk intake install question

I installed a used bbk intake on my car and ever since it never wants to idle/dies when its cold. Thought I seen something on here about a button head bolt that needs to replace a regular bolt in the valley. Is this a necessity and where do i get them?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,121 Likes on 618 Posts

There are several things to check to diagnose your problem; some that you can do with simple hand tools and the others you need to get your hands on a Scan Tool.

• Check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks and all hoses, electrical connections are good. If you can get the engine to stay running long enough to warm up and idle on its own spray the following items with carb cleaner: hoses, intake tube, mass air flow (MAF) sensor area, and where the intake meets the heads. Be sure listen for any idle change while spraying each area.
• Do a Throttle Position sensor (TPS) reset by: unplugging the TPS, turning the ignition on for 30 seconds, tuning off the ignition and plugging back in the TPS sensor.
• Using a scan tool that can view/ data log sensor information start the engine and note any readings that look suspicious. Check to make sure your coolant temperature is not at the max low of -40, check that your MAF is reading correctly and intake air temperature looks reasonable. Any sensor that looks at the engines running environment could change the air fuel ratio to the point of poor idle quality or stalling.

Double check the instructions for installation again in case you missed anything and you can view those BBK SSI instructions here. On step 18 of the instructions BBK does list the following, “Replace the rearward most valley cover plate bolt on the passenger side of the engine with the supplied button head cap screw (this is required to allow the SSI intake to sit flat on the heads). Carefully wipe any debris from the cylinder heads around the intake ports.” If you misplaced the hardware kit or purchased the intake from another member the complete hardware kit for BBK SSI intakes are available separate.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to a member on here i got it figured out. the bbk throttle body gasket does not have a hole for the iacv so i just cut a hole in it. works great now

Quick Reply: bbk intake install question