Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor suggestions?

Alright guys I'm looking for opinions and options.

Back story: in short I took my perfectly running 99 trans am with 118k miles on it in to get cam and stall installed with cooler about one and a half months ago. There were problems after install as I was told the tranny may be slipping as the car was only putting down mid 3 hundred on the Dyno when it should be highroad 380 or 90 (power was dropping off at 4k rpms. Anyways I got the car back figuring I would just do a new tranny build in Feb. 1 day later I was driving on highway and something let go in the motor. I thought it might be a loose rocker as I've heard that sound before, the guys that did the install were more than helpful and provided at my house service to see what the problem was. The rockers were fine and was told it was the lifters. Changed the lifters....fast forward car is back together but problem is still there. It sounds like bolts rolling around in the top end of motor. It was then determined that I may have spun a cam or rod bearing. Soooo either way I am in the whole a lot of money when all I wanted was a cam only stalled car lol.

So on to my decision... The motor is done so what to do now? I have 4300 dollars to get a new motor. I don't need to include labor just the motor. I'm looking at long blocks from Thompson motorsports. I'm looking at there 425hp iron 5.3(bored to 5.7) or I'm looking at their stock replacement 5.7 and have cash left to do my rearend. I dont plan to ever spray the car or do much more than heads and cam. Will never see more than what? 500hp if that lol.

Suggestions?

I just wanted a car that ran 12s consistently and now look were I am lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with your old motor. We can definitely help you out with an awesome TMS motor that will keep you from having to continuously chase problems. Give us a call at your convenience and we will help in any way we can.
Thank you,
Kyle
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the best bang for the buck is a iron 6.0 stroker or an LS2 stroker. I wouldn't spend the money to have 346ci motor built again.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

THANKS A LOT Kyle, I will be contacting you after the holidays.
Bill00formula- can that be done on my budget?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DyNastyTA
THANKS A LOT Kyle, I will be contacting you after the holidays.
Bill00formula- can that be done on my budget?
It can easily be done on your budget.

Here was my original $4000 budget:

Iron 6.0 - 1K (re-use the your oil pan, covers, intake, alt., A/C, etc.)
AFR heads - $2300
cam, oil pump, etc. $700
if you wanna do hi-po lifters, pulley's, used FAST 92 intake then figure another 2k. if not, then only about $3-500

You already have a stall, so you're a bit ahead. Your cam may even work for you.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My $4k budget turned into a 402 with AFR's, FAST 102, yella Terras, custom cam, ported oil pump, etc. and is now closer to $14K.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sommer86
It can easily be done on your budget.

Here was my original $4000 budget:

Iron 6.0 - 1K (re-use the your oil pan, covers, intake, alt., A/C, etc.)
AFR heads - $2300
cam, oil pump, etc. $700
if you wanna do hi-po lifters, pulley's, used FAST 92 intake then figure another 2k. if not, then only about $3-500

You already have a stall, so you're a bit ahead. Your cam may even work for you.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My $4k budget turned into a 402 with AFR's, FAST 102, yella Terras, custom cam, ported oil pump, etc. and is now closer to $14K.

thanks for the input. Yeah I'm thinking the cam should be fine I don't remember exact secs but it is a ed Curtis spec'd 230/236 113lsa 600 something on both On intake and exhaust. The stall is a Circle D 2E 4k stall. I have ported oil pump. Would this iron 6.0 need machine work$$? Shoot me a pm I'd like to get more info on your 4k build before the 14k kicked in lol.

Quick Reply: New motor suggestions?