Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help -- shorty exhaust related

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help -- shorty exhaust related

I haven't made up my mind yet but wanted some opinions from everyone here. Here's the goal. I want to reach close to 375 tops for rwhp, making a low 12 second street car. I'm currently about 315

Here is my current list of mods:

Ram Air mod
Airbox lift -- 1/4"
Removed EGR from LS1 Intake manifold
Throttle body bump stop mod
SLP Air Lid W/K & N filter
SLP 85mm MAF
Hooker Cat-back exhaust
Exhaust cutout
TCI Super Street fighter 3500 stall
3.73 gears
B & M tranny cooler
ASP Underdrive pulley
BMR Lower Control Arms with relocation brackets
LS1 Edit + Dyno tuned by Delk Performance

I'm looking at later, Edelbrock Shorties, aftermarket Y-pipe with hi-flow cats (thinking that exhaust setup where I won't ever have any emission problems although for the time being I can actually do the same with Lond Tubes, but $$ plays a factor though).

LS6 intake and later, maybe TR224/224 .561/.561 LSA 114 cam and TEA Stage II heads.

What is everyones take, will this work? And mainly as this is the part that I am working on right now, the exhaust. Should I go with the shorties? And what kind of gains could I possible see on it with the stock engine setup now? Maybe at least 10 to 15 on the wheels??

Just curious, thanks!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Super Chevy Magazine's article on LS1 does and don'ts. They say not to even bother with shorties. HP is only 5 and maybe 10 if you are really lucky. Have you considered Flowtech Longtubes? They are $370.00 I think on LS1 Speed Inc. and you could fabricate the flowtech y-pipe with some cats. About a month ago someone posted a 29 rwhp gain from flowtech longtubes and a custom catted y-pipe. You would probably see even more gains because of current mods and future setup with a cam. Check that magazine out though. I'm currently running the flowtech longtubes and ORY and am very pleased.