Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick of oil in intake...any reason NOT to delete PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sick of oil in intake...any reason NOT to delete PCV?

Yes I am running a CCA catch can between the valley and the intake, but I continue to get a significant amount of oil in the intake (in addition to the can). Is there any real reason not to just vent the valve covers and the valley and cap the ports and call it a day? I know some make the claim that the valve cover needs to be vented to the intake because the flow of air into the motor helps evacuate the pressure from the crank case, but has anyone ever had a problem on a stock cube NA motor that was just vented to the atmosphere?

All suggestions welcome!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Yes I am running a CCA catch can between the valley and the intake, but I continue to get a significant amount of oil in the intake (in addition to the can). Is there any real reason not to just vent the valve covers and the valley and cap the ports and call it a day? I know some make the claim that the valve cover needs to be vented to the intake because the flow of air into the motor helps evacuate the pressure from the crank case, but has anyone ever had a problem on a stock cube NA motor that was just vented to the atmosphere?

All suggestions welcome!
I have a feeling the catch cans are not what they could be. I have a Norris can and looking at where the filter is, I don't see how it would be effective.

I hope someone has a solution.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is if you run a tune on a MAF equipped car you will start to let unmetered air into the engine. If your motor is burning enough to where a catch can isn't working you have a more serious problem
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
The problem is if you run a tune on a MAF equipped car you will start to let unmetered air into the engine. If your motor is burning enough to where a catch can isn't working you have a more serious problem
Venting the valve covers doesn't allow unmetered air into the engine...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
negative....unmetered air is air entering the intake upstream of the MAF. The port that attaches to the valley cover to the TB would be capped off with a simple rubber vacuum cap. Additionally, the car isnt burning any oil (as in oil seeping past the piston rings) oil is being introduced to the intake due to the PCV system that vents the valve covers and the valley directly into the intake. By capping off the PCV system, all oil would be prevented from entering the intake, and thus the combustion chambers. I just want to ensure that a breather on the valve covers is sufficient to vent the crank case and not damage anything....which as far as I can determine, is the case.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i have the LS6 VC and a catch can.......works pretty good
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ls1 vc and a catch can and it is working good for me.

Quick Reply: Sick of oil in intake...any reason NOT to delete PCV?