Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 intake vs ported weiand aluminium intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 intake vs ported weiand aluminium intake

i was wondering if it was worth it to spend 100 dollars more on the ported weiand aluminum intake or should i just go for the ls6 intake? i have the stock ls1 intake on my ss and i have a cam.i am not planning on ever spraying. look at my signature and please give me your personal opinion if it is worth it to go with it or rather to just buy the ls6. any input will be appreciated.. thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

aluminum intake gets hot...hot air is not good for performance IMO
Old 04-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i was wondering if it was worth it to spend 100 dollars more on the ported weiand aluminum intake or should i just go for the ls6 intake? i have the stock ls1 intake on my ss and i have a cam.i am not planning on ever spraying. look at my signature and please give me your personal opinion if it is worth it to go with it or rather to just buy the ls6. any input will be appreciated.. thanks
Well, I just made that same decision. Only with a new 422 Super Stroker going in. I went with the LS6 because of the heat soak problems the aluminum Holley/Wiend has compared to the composite material. If you were going to spray and set up a direct port system, it might just be worth it. I think you would be much better off with the LS6. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitecamaross

I think the LS6 should be fine for you. You can probably find a used one for reasonable price as lots of people are going LSX intake. If you wanna spend the extra money, get a ported throttle body along with the LS6 from one of the sponsors. If you really wanna spend cash, go with the LSX and 78mm throttle body.

I am in the same boat as you, I still have the LS1 intake. I can't wait to see how my car responds with the better intake and a ported throttle body. I could still use a pulley as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by apexman
I think the LS6 should be fine for you. You can probably find a used one for reasonable price as lots of people are going LSX intake.
This is an excellent point. I am a prime example of this, because as soon as FAST comes out with their 90 mm TB, and I find that they make signifcant gains over an LS6, especially on the big inch motors, I will have my new LS6 up for sale. Lots of folks will save $100.00 or more on used LS6 intakes if the LSX turns out to make good enough gains.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

If it were me I would go with the aluminum intake as it can be ported to match your heads. The others do have a good point that people will be selling their LS6 intakes when they go with the LSX intake and you will be able to pick one up for a good price.

Does anyone have any real proof that there is a loss of power from heat soak with the weiand aluminium intake. Not just here say, but actual numbers like track times or dyno numbers? Has anyone went to the track and made a few runs then switched to the aluminum intake and see a difference in their ET? I would be interested seeing this kind of data