Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR and Rear o2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR and Rear o2 Question

I have 02 Z28 so i don't have an EGR, but i know i have an AIR and rear O2s obviously. I live in Indiana so i don't have to worry about vehicle emission testing. My question is if i remove the AIR and have it turned off will this have any effect on my gas mileage, i think i read a thread and someone said that it did have an effect.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonblu
I have 02 Z28 so i don't have an EGR, but i know i have an AIR and rear O2s obviously. I live in Indiana so i don't have to worry about vehicle emission testing. My question is if i remove the AIR and have it turned off will this have any effect on my gas mileage, i think i read a thread and someone said that it did have an effect.

Thanks
AIR is on at the first minute or so after startup and shuts off. its used to preheat the cats if i remember correctly. you do not need it and most people on here delete the system or just pull the fuse for the AIR pump so the system never turns on. and no there should be no drop whatsoever in gas mpg.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
AIR is on at the first minute or so after startup and shuts off. its used to preheat the cats if i remember correctly. you do not need it and most people on here delete the system or just pull the fuse for the AIR pump so the system never turns on. and no there should be no drop whatsoever in gas mpg.
So really all i need to worry about is running the O2 sensors to the new headers and delete and remove all the other ****? Do u know what most of the LS1 guys are using as far as a tuner/programmer?

So really all i need to worry about is running the O2 sensors to the new headers and delete and remove all the other ****? Do u know what most of the LS1 guys are using as far as a tuner/programmer?
It seems that was a dumb question, i found the sticky thread, lol
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you want to tune it one your own? If not Frost (sponser) does the best as far as mail order tunes for 150$.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by justin hover
Do you want to tune it one your own? If not Frost (sponser) does the best as far as mail order tunes for 150$.
Yeah for right now probably just get a tuner, im gonna need to shut off some codes poping up. When do u think i would need to send off for a tune, like after heads cam swap?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah for right now probably just get a tuner, im gonna need to shut off some codes poping up. When do u think i would need to send off for a tune, like after heads cam swap?
Heads cam swap requires a full dyno tune.

Mail order tunes are for bigger intakes/p&p throttle bodys/Lts which typically include delete rear 02s/egr/air/&fix you air to fuel ratio. Stall converters/gear swaps.

Quick Reply: AIR and Rear o2 Question