Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

debating exhaust options...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default debating exhaust options...

I currently have uncoated MAC headers on the car which I got used for cheap. They are banged up and rusting badly around the primaries. I have replaced the MAC cats with CarSound 3" cats.

(I also still have my stock manifolds, cats, and Y pipe).

I have narrowed repairing the exhaust down to four options :

1) JetHot/Hooker JetHot coated LTs, with the PITA swapping back for Cali emissions testing and added paranoia, will need new Y pipe with cats if possible. ~$1000

2) Get a new JetHot coated set of MACs. Will work with existing Y pipe with CarSound cats. Still not visual test emissions legal but will pass sniffer with cats. $500

3) Go with coated Hooker shorties. Emissions legal, but leaving 10-15 HP on the table. Will work with factory Y-pipe and cats. $500

4) Just put the damned stock exhaust back on. Free. Quiet. Legal.

Thoughts ? Let's hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Bad30th
Old 04-21-2004, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

TTT guys, I need your opinions.

Bad30th
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad30th
I currently have uncoated MAC headers on the car which I got used for cheap. They are banged up and rusting badly around the primaries. I have replaced the MAC cats with CarSound 3" cats.

(I also still have my stock manifolds, cats, and Y pipe).

I have narrowed repairing the exhaust down to four options :

1) JetHot/Hooker JetHot coated LTs, with the PITA swapping back for Cali emissions testing and added paranoia, will need new Y pipe with cats if possible. ~$1000

2) Get a new JetHot coated set of MACs. Will work with existing Y pipe with CarSound cats. Still not visual test emissions legal but will pass sniffer with cats. $500

3) Go with coated Hooker shorties. Emissions legal, but leaving 10-15 HP on the table. Will work with factory Y-pipe and cats. $500

4) Just put the damned stock exhaust back on. Free. Quiet. Legal.

Thoughts ? Let's hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Bad30th
You could get a set of the new edelbrock lt's for 387 out the door at summit. thats with all emissions crap ready to weld on and o2 extensions. they make a y-pipe for it too for like 120 i think or you could maybe have your mac y-pipe fitted to the edelbrock headers. I just bought a set, and they look good. not ceramic coated, butt the paint should last a few years in cali...
Old 04-21-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey 30th brother, put that stock exhaust back to pass emmisions and save the money, thats what I would surely do in your shoes. And then move to a state with no emmisions...

Just my .02