Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for questions I didnt think of

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for questions I didnt think of

Ok so heres the deal. First off, Its an '02 z28 Ls1. Only minor mods w/flash tuner; no Speed limiter, timing adjustment, a/f adjustment.
It is quite quick as it is (so my girlfriend found out just before she wrecked it). Its not to bad just missing front bumper, right fender and some lights, thank you car gods!!! So my thought is this, about 6 months ago I got a t3/t4 twin turbo kit for it and Im thinking what better time to Install it while the front end is missing, right! But then I thought, wait, she is still going to be driving it and I'm not to sure I want the extra 500-750 HP at her command.
My next thought was what I think is an en genius idea, why not add some exhaust cutouts and only use turbos when I really want to.

My design is this: two cutouts per turbo, one (for normal exhaust routing) would be open for everyday driving, while the other (for routing to the turbo) would remain closed until the switch is flipped. Once the switch is flipped the cutouts change positions and allow exhaust to flow through the turbos, thus giving boost. Please feel free to give any design concerns that I may have over looked.

See drawing below for design layout
Attached Thumbnails Looking for questions I didnt think of-car.jpg  

Last edited by stevehayes_68; 03-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your drawing did not show up,kinda laughed at this at first,if your gf couldnt drive a ls1 with minor /minor mods what makes you think that a turbo was a good idea,as for your idea i dont see working what so ever,not only do i see it possible the fab work would be insane,i dont see anyway possible for that for one to fit under the hood,i think if your dead set on a turbo for a already proven driver that cant handle a slow car yet alone a fast car that maybe just put it on the lowest setting possible and crank it up for when you drive,i dont know man i think it would be best to not give your gf a high hp car,unless you love to do body work,also this should be posted in the fi section
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

This is a pretty autistic post. Turbos make the car even faster. Unless you are trying to get your girlfriend to kill herself, get her a civic or something and save the turbo for YOUR CAR only.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will all be a very tight fit and alot of fabbing on your part. but i dont see how it would be a bad design honestly. it would be the first of its kind "From what i know of".

Lets clear something up first before you start doing this..

Is this HER car or YOUR car? if its hers i wouldnt do it, nothing against her but for minor bolt ons i feel like the car is a tad much for her. Until she can handle the car as is i wouldnt invest that kind of time and money into it. my 2cents
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Yes the car Is mine and her lack of handling the power is the reason I want to more or less have turbos on demand, she would not be able to even activate the cut outs as i was thinking about putting a key switch on them, that way anyone that used my car couldn't decide to "play around with them".
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Teching In

1) shouldn't this be in the forced induction section? B) not that I'm a turbo expert but couldn't you set up a boost controller to dump at 0psi when your gf is driving? My buddy has a turbo M3 and I'm 90% sure his boost controller can do that when he wants it to. If you need a brand name for it let me know.

Quick Reply: Looking for questions I didnt think of