Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have EGR/AIR Removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have EGR/AIR Removal questions

I read newbie exhaust guide and have heard before that Macs have trouble with fitment of emissions for 00 cars. The owner of the car doesn't need to meet emissions requirements. Should he just get rid of the air and egr, and will tuning be needed to make the car run right? If he goes with LT's, he may want the emissions removed anyways to make the engine bay cleaner and easier to work on. Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes remove them, tuning only required to remove ses light. local shop here charges like $150 to get rid of the ses light along with removin CAGs
Old 04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I can get rid of the ses light with the Diablo but I am concerned about the car running right. My 81 Z ran like crap when i started yanking off emissions on it.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Engine control systems and computers have come a long way since 1981. I removed my AIR (pump and all) and EGR and tuned out the associated trouble codes. My car runs just as well post-egr as it did pre-egr, which is to say it runs fine-so don't worry about it.

I would like to add, the function of the EGR system is to route a small amount of exhaust gas back into the intake stream, dilluting the air-fuel mixture and lowering combustion temperature-which decreases the formation of oxides of nitrogen. By removing the EGR, you are changing the air-fuel ratio under the conditions the computer opens EGR (part throttle, warm operation driving). However, the stock PCM will learn its way around this with short-term correction(aka the fuel trims) of the A/F ratio and timing advance (O2 sensor feedback), continually adjusting the base calibration of the engine. GM calls this "Block learning".

PCM experts correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think simply turning off the EGR code does anything more than that-the computer dosen't default to some EGR-less fueling/timing tables?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Zane I believe that you get a code right away with no EGR!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by muscleSS00
Zane I believe that you get a code right away with no EGR!
you do, PO405