Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug dropped into manifold #8 how to

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default spark plug dropped into manifold #8 how to

I changed the plugs (except for #8) for the first time on the 99 TA LS1, dam that was fun. I accidently dropped 2 on driver side into the manifold I guess they will stay there untill I put the LTs on? Any suggestions I think they are jammed in there. (don't hear them rattling around)

any suggestions on removing #8 and any special tool I will need?
I've heard of removing the wheel and using a long extention if so how long of a extention will I need?

I removed the plugs from the top removed both air tubes for access the gaskets where half glued to the manifoild & air tube I guess I should be replaceing them ( really don't like buying anything from dealer)

Dam this thing runs like it was new.

Thanks for any advice for the newbie
Old 04-24-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove the coil packs by removing the bolts that hold the rail to the valve cover. The last bolt in the back will be hard to get to. Get a 10mm gear wrench. With the coil packs off, remove #8 plug with a ratchet and a 1" extension from the top. As far as dropping plugs, get a several pieces of 3/8 fuel line. cut them 2,3 and 4 in length. Push the fuel line over the porcelin end of the plug as a handle when reinstalling the plugs. Use the best length for the particular cylinder you are working on.