Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JB Weld on a header leak?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JB Weld on a header leak?????????

Has anyone ever tried using JB weld on a header leak? The directions say that the JB weld is good up to 600*F. Does anyone know how hot the primaries get on a set of headers? I've got a very small leak where the header meets the flange on cylinder 1. I'm trying some JB weld now, but it has to sit for 15 hours. Just curious if anyone else has ever tried it? I've heard of it being used for engine blocks and oil pans, Hopefully I'll get lucky and this will work. What do you guys think?

Matt
Old 04-25-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a hole at the end of my longtube header at the collecter (previous owner had it drilled for EGT temps). I JB Welded the hole, which was about the size of a pencil eraser, and it blew out. It may hold, but it didn't for me. I ended up just spot welding the hole at the local exhaust shop.

--Joseph
Old 04-25-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Has anyone ever tried using JB weld on a header leak? The directions say that the JB weld is good up to 600*F. Does anyone know how hot the primaries get on a set of headers? I've got a very small leak where the header meets the flange on cylinder 1. I'm trying some JB weld now, but it has to sit for 15 hours. Just curious if anyone else has ever tried it? I've heard of it being used for engine blocks and oil pans, Hopefully I'll get lucky and this will work. What do you guys think?

Matt
yeah, it'll work

too much heat though, I don't think it'll last.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just looking for a short term fix...the damn ticking is driving me insane...I'll pull them off and weld them up at the end of the summer, when I switch over to true duals. I'm just short on cash right now, and I need a quick fix to last me through summer. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Matt
Old 04-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Teching In

I had to JB weld one of my air holes on the stock mainifolds. Even though it says that its only good to 300 degrees, use the JB weld putty stick. I used the regular JB weld that you mix togeather and it didnt hold worth a squat....the stick dries harder and wont burn as easily.......and it works faster.

Quick Reply: JB Weld on a header leak?????????