Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Dual questions...

I have a couple of questions concerning True Duals.

I am more concerned with sound than power, to an extent. I've heard TD's with an "H" pipe sound better than and "X" pipe, but the "X" makes more power. How much difference is there in power?

Also, I want a deep, somewhat mellow exhaust. i don't like "gurgly" or "raspy". Would this be more of a muffler issue, or "H" vs. "X" issue?

I heard a car on LS1 sounds that I really like. It was this one...http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...s_take-off.mov I think...

Should be a SOM T/A pulling into traffic.

I like the way this car sounds, but I'm gonna have a 383 with St. II heads and a decent size cam, can I make my car sound like that with that setup?

Thanks in advance,
Taco
Old 04-29-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

That Trans Am is running true duals with single chamber flowmasters, I beleive. And yes, it does sound good!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I always respond to true dual threads, and I will always reccomend Magnaflows on any V8 true dual application!! I love them and think they sound much better than any other setup. You wont be sacrificing any power as well. But choose what you what YOU like, thats what really matters.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverado
All forged 383 L31 Vortec Silverado, LT4 Hot Cam Kit, Thorley headers, Ed Wright, Vortec Heads, 2800 Vig., Trans Go, true dual setup w/ x-pipe and magnaflows.... 330.4 RWHP, 381.1 RWTQ w/ stock fuel injection.
wow... I wish I had your ground clearance
Old 04-29-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody know the power difference in the "H" vs. "X" debate? I think that SOM TA is running an "X" pipe, and again, I really like the way that car sounds!

Thanks for the input guys!

Taco
Old 04-29-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

an x pipe will usually give you slightly better numbers up top. H pipes generally give you better low end torque. I think H pipes sound better with chambered exhaust, but they dont sound as good with straight through designs. If you are going to go with flowmasters, id get an h pipe.

Currently im in the middle of fixing up some new hangers and such but i have true duals under the axle with bullet race mufflers behind where the tips will go (tips are on back order ) Im using an x pipe. its not as deep of a tone as with an H pipe i dont believe but it sounds very nice, very smooth.

my set up is Pacesetter lts, Off road x pipe, 2.5 inch piping under the axle ( suprisingly good ground clearance), with 2.5 inch bullets behind the tips. At idle and start up the sound is comparable to a car with stock manifolds, no cats and a decent catback. But at WOT its much louder, and much more refined tone. I love it can't wait to get the car back tomorrow or saturday
Old 05-01-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

anyone know what itd b like with out h or mr x ? just pipes out muffs....would it not run good not being able to even the flow?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:40 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 3" X pipe with Magnaflows. Love it.
The X-will flow better than an H. Why do you think the NASCAR boys run it?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

This past Monday I had my X pipe setup welded in..I went with a Dr.Gas Juction and had a freind bend the pipe..I run Mac mid lenghts so we just cut the pipe right after the collectors and ran new 3" pipe the rest of the way..The bullets are the 12" ones and yes the car is load but sounds really aggressive..

The car has no rasp and later I plan on putting cats back on so that alone will probably quite it down to where it really needs to be..
Old 05-01-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1) Would it be considered a 'true' dual if it has either an 'x' or 'h' pipe?
2) Supposedly you can get a little better flow with the crossover than running true duals by tuning to scavenge the opposite cylinders with pressure. You must be able to make crazy power without crossover though - look at the top fuel / funny cars. There's not even crossover on either side.
As stated in another thread recent, there are many 'true' dual exhausts running - and the GTO's are a stock true dual w/ the LS1.
Dan
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have true duals with random tech metalic cats, dr gas x-pipe, and dynomax bullit mufflers. Everyone tells me thats its really loud, but im thinking about dumping the cats to make it louder. Right now its really deep. I went up to a car meet and while I was getting out of the car a guy asked me did I have a stroker motor because the sound was so deep. I like the tone, I just want set your world a fire type volume.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Taco
I heard a car on LS1 sounds that I really like. It was this one...http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...s_take-off.mov I think...
I shot that video!

That's Trojan T/A's car, maybe he will chime in but it does not have a cross over, no X no H just 3" duals from BBK shorties. And yes, it sounds bad ***!

I have another video of the same car on my site revving, it gives a better picture of the sound. Personally I believe it sounds like an H-pipe setup; more mellow and a bit "deeper" sounding than most x-pipes I have heard.

And that's what you will hear regarding X vs H. The power difference can't be more than a few hp in street applications I would imagine.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carvinta
I shot that video!

That's Trojan T/A's car, maybe he will chime in but it does not have a cross over, no X no H just 3" duals from BBK shorties. And yes, it sounds bad ***!
Wow, that's the first I've heard of a setup like that. What mufflers is he running, single chamber flows? Is the car loud? You can't really get a feel for actual volume on the 'net vid's, just the tone.

Thanks for the "chime-in"!

Taco
Old 05-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Banned

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a setup like that. What mufflers is he running, single chamber flows? Is the car loud?
Yes. For 3" pipes it's pretty respectable. With stock cats and those muffs it's won't attract the fuzz as some other setups. Did you listen to his car just revving from behind?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's my car, but Carvinta has it a little wrong on the setup. It is running an X-pipe. As he said though its through shorties, stock cats, and single chamber flows. The sound is way deeper than you can get with a ypipe. But with the stock cats, its really not that loud. It is slightly quieter than the loudmouth on a completely stock car. Granted that's not quiet, but its not overpowering either. Without the cats, that might be different. I havent had off road pipes built yet to test that out. But with any louder exhaust, you can control the volume depending on how you drive.

Taco, thanks for the complements on the sound. If you are looking to get your car to sound similar and keep the volume tame, you will have to run cats. If you want all out loud, then no cats. For an example of what your car would sound like with no cats, a big cam and longtubes, check that same page and click the top 2 links with Flowmaster 1 chambers. That's Country Boy's car. His stock engined clips further down that page are what led me to get these mufflers.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Trojan, and again, your car sounds great!

Does anybody know how much louder, if any, a 382 would be compared to stock cubes? I saw some sound clips of bigger inch motors, and they are all really loud, but they're obviously designed that way (Long Tubes, No Cats, 12" Bullets dumped)

I don't really want that, i don't want the sound of my car to give away my hand!!!

I had an idea, but I seriously doubt there's room under the car to do anything like this.

Bear with me, this may take a minute!!!

Taco
Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would this work, all things taken into consideration...

A "REAL" dual exhaust. Leave the stock Y-Pipe-and-back setup in place, but put 2 cutouts in the Y-Pipe itself that run into a dual exhaust setup that runs from the Y-Pipe back to the axle, through bullets or single-chamber flows??? Also, in the Factory Y-Pipe, put a cutout that would close off the stock exhaust to keep the exhaust gasses going through the dual setup!

Do y'all follow, I know that could get confusing, so if you need further clarification, just ask!!!

Taco
Old 05-04-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this work, all things taken into consideration...

A "REAL" dual exhaust. Leave the stock Y-Pipe-and-back setup in place, but put 2 cutouts in the Y-Pipe itself that run into a dual exhaust setup that runs from the Y-Pipe back to the axle, through bullets or single-chamber flows??? Also, in the Factory Y-Pipe, put a cutout that would close off the stock exhaust to keep the exhaust gasses going through the dual setup!

Do y'all follow, I know that could get confusing, so if you need further clarification, just ask!!!

Taco
That would be way more trouble than its worth, and I don't think there is enough room under the car. How is what everyone else is running not a "real" dual exhaust?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Old 05-04-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

id like to know more about the difference in sound between a y pipe and true duels...

i was planning on a y. because it dosent look as sloppy, dont have to get someone you know is good at true duels, all around easier.