Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would bad crank sensor cause random misfire and rough starts (non-LS1)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would bad crank sensor cause random misfire and rough starts (non-LS1)?

Ok, readers digest version on my winter beater. It's a 96's Olds 3.1, drove this thing for 80K+ miles without a SINGLE problem. Last month she started throwing P0300 (random misfire) and PO306 (cyl 6 misfire) at idle. So I replaced all the plugs, wires, fuel filter. Threw autotap back on and now cyl 2 was misfiring - so I replaced all six injectors, coil packs, ignition control module, PCM (went overboard but I just wanted this thing fixed)
Still same thing, took it to GM dealership and they said injector 5 was bad, so I replaced it again last night. Now I am getting random misfire codes and occasional misfire on other cylinders at idle and it is taking longer to crank over now.
At a loss rt now, only thing I have not replaced is the crank sensor - could that be the culprit. Or what about the wiring harness?
Guys have any other thoughts?
thanks

Last edited by MeanWS6; 05-06-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody
Old 05-07-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
Ok, readers digest version on my winter beater. It's a 96's Olds 3.1, drove this thing for 80K+ miles without a SINGLE problem. Last month she started throwing P0300 (random misfire) and PO306 (cyl 6 misfire) at idle. So I replaced all the plugs, wires, fuel filter. Threw autotap back on and now cyl 2 was misfiring - so I replaced all six injectors, coil packs, ignition control module, PCM (went overboard but I just wanted this thing fixed)
Still same thing, took it to GM dealership and they said injector 5 was bad, so I replaced it again last night. Now I am getting random misfire codes and occasional misfire on other cylinders at idle and it is taking longer to crank over now.
At a loss rt now, only thing I have not replaced is the crank sensor - could that be the culprit. Or what about the wiring harness?
Guys have any other thoughts?
thanks
Suggestions for things you have not changed yet...test them before replacing them, it's cheaper that way.

Yes a crank sensor could do that. So could a bad connection to the crank sensor. So could bad plug wires. Cam sensor could also be a problem. O2 sensors. The list goes on. Any more information that you could share would help.

Quick Reply: Would bad crank sensor cause random misfire and rough starts (non-LS1)?