Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone pass smog w/o cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone pass smog w/o cats?

I have no after market headers and no cats, has anyone passed smog, and if so, is there anything I can do to lessen the chance of failing?Thanx, Chris
Old 05-08-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

it depends on where you live. some states do obd2 testing, some states do a sniffer test (tail pipe emissions), and some do both. obd2 as long as your car isn't throwing any codes (such as your ses light is on because of not having cats or not having egr or AIR) you'll pass. if its a sniffer test...buy the most affordable cats you can (stock take offs or something), cause although i believe it has been done, its not a regular occurance.

does your state do a visual inspection?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrdij
I have no after market headers and no cats, has anyone passed smog, and if so, is there anything I can do to lessen the chance of failing?Thanx, Chris
Yep, I just did this morning.

You have to go to a shop that doesn't care if you have headers and no cats or whatever. It took like 3 tries to get mine to pass with no cats. The hotter the car is, the easier it will pass. Also, if you are an auto, keep it out of overdrive.