Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 78mm I HAVE BIG ISSUES!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 78mm I HAVE BIG ISSUES!

LONG STORY, SHORT: I miss read on the instructions were it says to replace the 10 valley bolts, with the new button top bolts, so as I was tighting down the intake, I heard a cracking sound like 3-4 times . So I quickly removed the intake, looked at the bottom, and there were little indentions of the bolt tops, but no cracks , so I said "THANK GOD" set the intake down on my work bench for a couple of days till I had time to get back to it.
Today after work I removed the upper shell of the intake, to see "8" hair-line cracks on the inside of the manifold above where the bolts were touching. These cracks are just hair-line, just enough to "JUST" hardley feel them with the back side of your finger nail. (NO CRACKS ON THE OUTSIDE, JUST CRACKS ON THE INSIDE) HERE IS MY QUESTION THOUGH: My friend, aswell as many other people said to get some sand paper, ruff up on top of each crack, and apply some SUPER STRONG EPOXY RESIN on it to seal it up. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK? I want to be able to never think about this issue again, I'll think ill be worried about it to much, but what would you all do? PLUS, will the epoxy hold up to NITROUS? Will the intake be just as strong using that epoxy? Or should I just rip the whole lower part off, and buy a new one? If buying a new one is the best answer, where can I buy one at?
Thanks everyone, and any help would be great.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For insurance, I'd do like your friends said. The intake is dry, so water leakage isn't an issue, and for the most part it should not be substantally pressurized unless you have a large nitrous backfire. With the epoxy, you should be fine.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, as long as you are absolutely sure the crack is not all the way through. I'd use JB Weld.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

I think you need more money so you can get another manifold!

You should call FAST and see which epoxy is most compatible with there material.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, I have a buddy who repairs the plastic windows on commercial airplanes (pressurized cabins) He ame over looked at it, and said "no problem" I gave him the lower part of the manifold and he is going to lay down AIRCRAFT EPOXY, reinforce it on both side (JUST INCASE) sand it, and do it again. I'll just this way, alot more than me just laying down some epoxy. GOD I HOPE THIS WORKS.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:52 PM
wrencher

Worse case senerio, FAST does sell the 3 main pieces individually....
Old 05-10-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also call FAST and get their feedback. Tell them what happened, they may offer a new piece at a discount - it certainly can't hurt to try.