Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock headers or shorty???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
am not a fan of shorties. id vote stick with stock manifolds and chose a proper cam for your setup.
Why is that? Bad experience? Bad dyno numbers?

Anyway, I'm also building a similar car an LS1. I could probably make long tubes fit. But I'd like to do side pipes like the Caterham, so I'm thinking about shorties.

I'v seen pictures of the holley. It seems to fit well. But the tubes are small, and the flanges are kind of low and angle inward. I think more designed for a swap into an early chassis.

Then I came across this picture of a set of BBK's. Bigger tubing, horizontal flange, and the flange is maybe a little bit higher that the holley. Obviously, these are on backwards to fit a specific chassis.

I think I'm going to be using these shorties for my car. but I have to get the engine into the chassis first and see how it fits.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks .boB for the reply and great pics

You're right, those are nice looking headers.

I had kind of resigned myself to getting a pair of Block huggers (I haven't ruled them out) but somebody only 1/2 hour from where I live has a set of stock headers going cheap, they've been bead blasted too so look like new. The stock outlet is just under2 1/2" inches he's told me.

I do not know whether the just under 2 1/2" outlet would cause any big restriction to the power output compared to block huggers.

What size exhaust system pipe does the LS1 have from header, is it the same 2 1/2" inch measurement?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

.boB

I've heard only good things about the SS OBX headers like these http://www.ssaccessories.com/servlet...-Header/Detail

Might be worth a look.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TableLeg
.boB

I've heard only good things about the SS OBX headers like these http://www.ssaccessories.com/servlet...-Header/Detail

Might be worth a look.
Hey, I like those! I think I'll put those right at the top of the my list. Once I get he engine in the chassis, then I can get a better idea of what would fit.

I really want to put Cobra type side pipes, but I'm not sure that they'll fit. If they won't fit, Then I'll use long tube headers.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by .boB
Once I get he engine in the chassis, then I can get a better idea of what would fit.

I really want to put Cobra type side pipes, but I'm not sure that they'll fit. If they won't fit, Then I'll use long tube headers.
Good luck .boB

Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply: Stock headers or shorty???