Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to check for bad coils?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best way to check for bad coils?

I think i might have a bad ignition coil or two i started the car up let it idle to temp then pulled the #1 plug off of the coil...the car didnt change personality one bit other than when id rev the motor a bit the check gauges light would flash a bit...am i missing something or is that coil done? Also seeing that i have air/egr its pretty hard to do the same with the other coils is there another way i can test them all? And was teh way i tested teh best and most accurate or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice easy and quick way to check for spark is this.

pull the plug wire off the plug. pull the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay fuse box so the car won't start, just crank over. take a screwdriver and put the metal end in the open end of the wire where the plug would be. have someone crank the car while you hold the screwdriver with the metal part about 1/2 inch from something metal in the engine bay, i usually just use the fender. DO NOT touch the car while doing this, youll get a little unpleasant shock. if the coil has spark you will see a little blue flash between the screwdriver and the metal you are holding it by
Old 05-11-2004, 09:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pretty sure all 8 have spark just wondering how much at this point because @ wot the car shows no missfires but at idle or cruising speed i get missfires on all 8 cylinders...then like i stated the car ran fine even after pulling one of the wires so i was only firing on 7 cylinders...ive been in cars that went form 8 to 7 and you can usually tell, but damn if i could in my car???