Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-step rev control using 2 MSD 8733 units...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3-step rev control using 2 MSD 8733 units...

MSD has no answer on this, so I thought I'd try here. I have heard stories of some people linking together (somehow) 2 MSD 8733 units to achieve....in effect...a 3-step rev limiter. I would like this ability on my turbo'd/t-braked track car, and would like it to function as follows;

-Line-lock on, t-brake off= rpm limit #1 (triggered by 12v+ of line lock)
-Line-lock off, t-brake ON= rpm limit #2 (triggered by 12v+ of t-brake)
-Line lock off, t-brake off= PCM rev-limit

I've called MSD Tech on this, and can get no answer...so here I am.

I'm wondering...is it possible to "daisy chain" the 8733 coil harnesses, and use the triggers for each box to activate each rpm limit at the appropriate time?

Any thoughts/suggestions from those that have tried it will be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....so....got impatient, and was feeling brave tonight. I hooked up 2 8733's to my LS Miata for testing..... and....IT WORKS! I was half-anticipating smoke from somewhere... but everything worked as I had hoped. Obviously, you would not want to activate them at the same time...but then again, why would someone? I strapped the Miata down to the dyno tonight, and will be tuning on it tomorrow or the next day. I'll leave the 8733's hooked up during the session, and see if I encounter any issues....and report back later. Hopefully, all is well....and someone else will find this information useful.

Quick Reply: 3-step rev control using 2 MSD 8733 units...