Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering headers question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed engineering headers question

Im strongly considering purchasing the speed engineering lts, but i have some questions first.
-My car must pass inspection, so i have to buy the air/egr version, right? Since an 02 z28 has no egr though, what do i do about the egr ports that will be on the headers?
-Im going to have to relocate the cat (im assuming stock there is only one cat.....please correct me if im wrong). Is this going to be a major issue or is there a place for it?
-What are some good things for me to know going into purchasing these headers? Ive already read the guide about installing them, but what other parts will i need to buy to install these that dont come with the kit?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run egr block off plates.

you have two cats, one per manifold bank. youll have to get a catted Y pipe because long tubes delete both stock cats.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just installed the Speed Engineering race version headers and ORY, everything i needed came with the kit. you pay extra for GM gaskets but its worth it. the clamps that come with it had me skeptical but if you cut reliefs in the female ends to help them clamp. overall great value for a stainless kit.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Just know that even with the emissions fittings on them, they still won't be legal because they move the cat location.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What y-pipe with cats would fit these and work with a Loud Mouth catback 1, just TSP?

I am looking to pick up a set for a 2002 LS1 that I am going to drop in my 99 z28.

Quick Reply: Speed engineering headers question