Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 3" duals to big?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 3" duals to big?

I'm going to be running 3" pipes off my stock manifolds to a 3" Dr. Gas Xpipe and I wanted to know if this size piping is too large? The setup will be true duals after the Xpipe under the rear axle. How will this sound with no mufflers?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For stock manifolds, yes 3" is overkill. 2.5" is just fine and will sound great with the right mufflers.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take into account what you are passing for gases from a small block and then consider the fact that you are possibly causing a slowingof your exhaust gases by being a to large of tube. 3" exhausts work well with a big block or an engine that is running at high RPMs all of the time. A little smaller exhaust will keep your flow from becoming revisionary and as the gases cool they will cause a vortex effect on the other spent gases. This would leave your engine in a more effieicient state as you drive the car daily, so once again, consider your driving and then go with what you would get the best overall efficiency with. If you race hars on the weekend, then you will want the open exhaust and suffer the daily inefficiency during the rest of the week.