Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure washing my engine bay...what to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pressure washing my engine bay...what to cover?

My engine looks like its been dragged thru the Sahara. Im gonna pressure wash it later on today and i was wondering, what should i cover with plastic ba Mapother, Cass Mapother gs? What are the parts/areas in the engine bay that shouldn't be wet?
When i ask that im assuming whatever is not mentioned WILL get washed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

the fuseboxes, the MAF and disconnect the battery and cover the ends with plastic as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go get some black magic shiner and go to work on that intake manifold and surrounding parts. I would never spray my engine with water, I don't care how safe guys on here say it is. Just take the time to use a cloth and do it
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pressure washed engines more times than I can count though I never actually hit it with the high pressure. Of if you have to... just stand back several feet. But water only isn't going to get it super clean. Really have to hit the area with a good cleaner like Simple Green or other form of degreaser first.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stuff something in the lower front of the intake manifold. Knock sensors are under it and if water gets in then there could be issues.

After I pressure washed my engine bay, drove the car for a few days then codes appears that knock sensor failed. I had to replace the sensors since they began to rust.

Engine bay is dusty again so this time I will figure out something to block any water from getting under the intake.

Quick Reply: Pressure washing my engine bay...what to cover?