Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Chevelle oil dip stick tube problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 71 Chevelle oil dip stick tube problem!

I was installing headers on a 71 Chevelle and the dip stick tube was in the way, so i tried to take it out of the block and it snapped off right at the edge of the block! What would be a good way to get the rest of the tube out? Ant help is appreciated. Mike
Old 05-15-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On many blocks they are pressed in with a length of tube extending inside the block. If this is the case it will not pull out. You will need to drill the old one out which leave the filings and the section of tube in the pan. Get the new tube and take a look at it or find a block similar you yours that you can look at, this will tell you what you will need to do. If it is just flush to the block on both sides, you should be able to drill, chnge the oil, and you should be OK.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming it's a small block car, BBC's have the dip stick tube inserted into the oil pan. I would say drop the oil pan and try to drive the piece that is snapped off out from the bottom up.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car has a 350, I was considering drilling it out but was worried about the metal shavings. If i flush the engine with oil will i be safe? I dont want any shavings getting trapped that could cause a bigger problem.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Teching In

That happened to me with my 302. I used a self-treading machine bolt that was a little larger then the hole, ran it in and then pulled it out with a vise grip. No problem. No metal shavings.