Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. Starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really getting to me.

A while back my GTO with LS1 engine would not start every time I shut it off. I had to always have someone give be boost.

And when the car did start without boost, it would crank sooo slow. Like one crank would take 2 secs. It would crank slow like that 3 to 4 times and then it would build momentum and crank faster and more normal till it fires up.

Figured it was battery so I took it to the battery shop and the guy there hooked a little device to the battery to read the cca and what not.

To my surprise, the battery turned out be be pretty healthy. 500+ cca which was a little over the actual cca of the battery.
We stood there chatting for a while and before leaving I asked him to check one more time... and sure enough the device read "bad battery"

Just to make sure it is the battery and not the alternator, the guy gave me an almost brand new battery to use for a week. However the cca of this battery is 350.

Been 2 weeks now and basically its the same problem. Only this time the car won't start when hot.
For instance, if I went in a store and got back out 10 mins later, the car wouldn't start. I would have to let it cool for at least an hour after which it would start. If I tried to start it when hot it would crank REALLY slow starting at about 2 secs for the first crank and getting slower and slower until the crank stops mid way. Turn the key at this point and nothing happens.
If I get another car to be boost me, it would start right up.
If I let it cool for at least an hour, it would start but again really slow initially, builds up momentum and starts.

Looked under the hood to figure out the problem and noticed that the earth battery wire was ashy.
Figured this was all due to bad ground so I got another wire in perfect condition and replaced it.

Was pretty sure the problem would go away but unfortunately I have a different problem now.

Rapid clicks and not starting. Whether hot or cold it just clicks (machine gun) but won't start.

I'm thinking it could be the battery because of the cca but if it was then how come it was starting the car when I had the bad wires and now with new wires it won't start. I'm stumped!

Mind you alternator is new and is putting out 14v consistently.

HELP!

Last edited by Freefallin; 05-09-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The alternator does not start the engine, it only keeps the battery charged and provides power when the engine is running.

I suspect you have a bad starter.

Make sure you get the later starter with the full length bracket, you'll need a longer bolt.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The alternator does not start the engine, it only keeps the battery charged and provides power when the engine is running.

I suspect you have a bad starter.

Make sure you get the later starter with the full length bracket, you'll need a longer bolt.
Yeah I know the alternator doesn't start the car. But it charges the battery, which starts the car. So if the alternator isn't charging the battery properly, then the battery won't start the car. But I guess you know all that.
Anyway, it can't be the starter cz if it was then it would do the same thing when being boosted. The car starts right up when when I boost start it.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
If I let it cool for at least an hour, it would start but again really slow initially, builds up momentum and starts.
THAT ^ is a sign of a bad starter.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

THAT ^ is a sign of a bad starter.
If that's the case then why would it start right away when I hook up booster cables?

Quick Reply: Need help. Starting issues.