Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine block heater blocking mm bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine block heater blocking mm bolt

Hey guys, im trying to remove the motor mounts and the block heater seems to be in the way. My car is a 98 and everything is seized together pretty good, already broke all kinds of **** on the car.

Should i try to remove the block heater? Is it pressed in or threaded in? Im scared to break it. Im also having trouble with the mm clam shell bolts, i have pb blasted them for a week. Did you guys use a short socket with a swivel for the clam shell bolts? Thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I've never heard of around here anybody with the factory engine block heater. Is this an F-body? Can you post up some pics?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will get some pics up soon, its factory installed on my 98 Trans Am. I was able to take the whole pedistall and clamshell out in one piece, so no need to mess with the block heater.

Can I reverse the long 18mm bolts to come out towards the firewall or will that bite me in the *** when i put everything back together?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
I will get some pics up soon, its factory installed on my 98 Trans Am. I was able to take the whole pedistall and clamshell out in one piece, so no need to mess with the block heater.

Can I reverse the long 18mm bolts to come out towards the firewall or will that bite me in the *** when i put everything back together?
Cool, I'd love to see how they installed these on the line.

Yes, it's a great idea to reverse the motor mount bolts-as well as the steering rack bolts.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Engine block heater blocking mm bolt-imag0148.jpg

Engine block heater blocking mm bolt-imag0149.jpg

Engine block heater blocking mm bolt-imag0151.jpg

Here are the pics of the engine block heater. You can see it installed to the left of the driver side motor mount. And then the wiring leads up to the fuse box with a plug.

I'm having trouble with the passenger side clamshell bolts. Is it safe to propane torch pb blaster? My engine if full of pb blaster sprayed all over the place. How long would you torch for if I can or will the pb blaster catch fire or something?

Quick Reply: Engine block heater blocking mm bolt