Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRA=wet air filter, would FTRA help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FRA=wet air filter, would FTRA help

Here in Milwaukee, we've been getting hammered with rain the last week or so. Last night I drove 20 minutes each way in heavy rain(no standing water, but heavy downpour both ways). I get home, pop the lid to check the filter, about half of it was damp(not "soaked", but damp), inside of lid was dry. I was thinking that with the size of the fra openings, it has to allow alot of spray from other cars to come in contact with the filter. With the way FTRA is designed with the angled air path, I would think it would actually cut down on moisture contacting your filter. Unless, of course, you are driving through standing water. The maker of the FTRA states that water can be aimed from a pressure washer at the ramair opening and the filter stays dry. Any thoughts/experiences.TIA
Old 05-22-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FRA here.
I have been through some serious downpours and standing water and never had a wet filter.
On the other hand, there are some folks that have hydrolocked their engines with FTRA. No one ever claimed that with FRA.
I say err on the side of caution.
Dave
Old 05-23-2004, 06:48 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

I have the Fast Toys Ram Air and it comes with a metal block off plate that can be installed to cover the hole under the air box.If it looks like rain I use a piece of hot/cold water pipe insulation cut about 6 inches longer than the FTRA opening at the bottom inlet and stuff it in and bend the excess down.