Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tubes before or after trans install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long tubes before or after trans install

I pulled the t56 out of my 98 firbird for a rebuild. While its torn apart I want to install some long tube headers.

Should I put the trans in first or go ahead and put the headers on. I'm thinking itll be easier to install the headers without the trans in the way but I don't want it to be a pain in the a** to get the bellhousing bolts back in
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I did the clutch and headers at the same time. When I did it I put the bell housing in and then the headers. Then I bolted the trans to the bell housing. Its been two years since I did it, but I am fairly certain that's how I did it because I had to pull the trans back apart because I didn't get the line to the slave cylinder completely tight.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

whatever makes it easier to get it back together.

does taking your trans out give you more room overall?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did the trans re and re, headers, and motor mounts. If you change the motor mounts, make sure the belhousing is reinstalled before starting the motor mounts. I had the trans and driveshaft together before installing the new headers the trans wasnt in my way. You can do it in whatever order you want.

Quick Reply: long tubes before or after trans install