Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rusty fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rusty fuel rail

is there any saving to a rusty fuel rail? got one off of the classifieds a month or so ago and finally about to put it on and i picked it up and it sounded like sand in it...took some compressed air to it and it blew rust dust out...any fix to this? really dont want to buy a new rail..
Old 09-25-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't risk clogging your fuel injectors. In theory there are things you could do to try to mitigate the risk but you'd never be able to actually visually(or otherwise) verify that you got all the rust out before running it. What kind of rail? Usually used these can be had pretty cheap.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jak2908
is there any saving to a rusty fuel rail? got one off of the classifieds a month or so ago and finally about to put it on and i picked it up and it sounded like sand in it...took some compressed air to it and it blew rust dust out...any fix to this? really dont want to buy a new rail..
Not work the risk!!! As mentioned, potential for glogged injectors and if it gets reallly bad, leak/fire. Too bad they didnt make a flex fuel F-body, those rails are stainless and I swapped one of them on to my Silverado. Another thing you may want to do is disconnect the line between the filter and the rail and blow that out as well. It sounds like you have dirt/rust past the filter and that should be addressed.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well OP stated this rail was bought from the classifieds. Hopefully that means the lines on the vehicle are OK.

Quick Reply: rusty fuel rail