Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1-7/8 Headers and Y-Pipe Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP 1-7/8 Headers and Y-Pipe Review

I installed some new stainless TSP 1-7/8 headers and Y-pipe on my 01 Camaro SS this weekend, so I thought I would give a review.

The headers seem to fit really well once I figured out how to install the driver side. Quality of materials and craftsmanship are all there, especially for the price.

Passenger side header slid up and in with no issues at all. Driver side header was a little tougher, but still wasn't bad. I just pulled the steering linkage and oil filter out, no motor mounts removal or anything like that (I already have poly mounts). You just turn the header vertical, where the collector is pointing straight at the ground, and slide it up in there. Then you rotate it around.

Now, for the y-pipe, MAKE SURE you do not tighten the header bolts before getting the y-pipe slipped into place with the clamps loosely fastened in place. Once the y-pipe is in place LOOSELY, go back and tighten the header bolts to pull your headers in. Then go back to fully tighten clamps on the y-pipe once it's tucked up where you want it to be. I struggled with the y-pipe for roughly 5 hours + Sunday trying to get it to slide on. I imagine doing it the way I did creates some stress on welds and the header flanges, but the y-pipe simply was not going to slide on with the headers already tightened. Trust me, I tried every way possible. I will say though, I really like the merge on the pipe. It seems nice and smooth.

All that being said, the quality of the headers are great. Good flanges and primaries. They do not bump anything, and they tuck up fairly well.

I think TSP should weld up the y-pipes in a jig to make sure every customer has the same experience installing the y-pipe. The four adjustable slip joints make it a little tougher to get everything aligned correctly, where previous y-pipes I've had I could bolt up in less than 10 minutes by myself easily with the headers mounted.

The clamps that are supplied with the y-pipe weren't the best either. I still had issues with getting them to clamp good enough. I ended up taking a 1/2" impact to clamp down on them, and I think I have one that is still leaking some. I would recommend getting the lap joint bands where they clamp on both sides of the pipe just to insure a good seal.

I hope that this review may help someone with their installation, and I would definitely recommend the headers to anyone for the price. The y-pipe on the other hand, until TSP gets a 1 piece y-pipe I think I would find another type (if possible) that takes the guesswork out of the installation. Other than that, everything is great, and the new setup looks awesome compared to my old one.

Thanks TSP.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Before and After Pics. I don't have any picture in the car of the old headers, but they definitely looked much worse. The 1-7/8s should give me slightly higher hp numbers than the old 1-3/4, but I won't be retuning just for that. If I ever do, I will post up the differences.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had just the opposite experience with mine, had to notch my k-member on the drivers side to get the header in, but the y was no problem at all and I did tighten the header bolts first. I just had all the parts for the y together and the pipes slid right onto the collectors. That might be the trick as I did try installing it piece by piece at first with no luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I had that luck with the y. I was about to throw a match to the car by the end of the day haha

Quick Reply: TSP 1-7/8 Headers and Y-Pipe Review