Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally 14.2 volts from the alternator!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally 14.2 volts from the alternator!

So I... Like many others... have been battling low alternator voltage. I was running the 105 amp alternator, but figured that should be plenty for what I was running.
PCM and coils 15 amps?
Magnafuel pump (15) amps
Big E fan 30 amps MAX
Small tranny cooler fan 10 amps MAX
HID Headlights 15 amps I think.
Misc guages 5 amps MAX

And that's literally all that is in the car. No stereo, no AC, nothing else. So that's about 90 amps, and that's guessing high on some of the stuff. I figured my 105 amp alt should be able to handle that, but no.

So I thought my wiring was too small, so I ran 0 gauge. That didn't do it. I thought maybe the computer wasn't telling the alt to charge enough, so I put straight 12v to it (This is a no no, by the way!). Mine didn't blow up, but that didn't take care of it either.

Long story short, I put in an 03 Tahoe alternator 4 pin port, not 2 pin (That's important). Now I cannot get my voltage to drop below 14.2 volts even at idle with all electronics on.

I know this is not new news by any means, but I was excited to finally have this issue taken care of, and wanted to share. No more running around at 12.3 volts and hurting my battery.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, it's often discussed to upgrade to the AD244 alternator:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...failure-s.html
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yes, it's often discussed to upgrade to the AD244 alternator:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...failure-s.html
Yep, read through that thread many times, along with others. However, I just didn't think I had enough of an electrical load. I mean lots of guys are talking of big stereos and what not. I don't have any of that. Just a race car. But I was definitely wrong.

Quick Reply: Finally 14.2 volts from the alternator!