Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to 5.3 conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LS1 to 5.3 conversion help

I recently did an LS1 conversion in my 1971 chevy C-10 and got about 30 miles out of it before it started knocking ,so I pulled it down and it was the worst case senatorial, spun rod and spun main ,when I got further into it the block was cracked on the main journal..
So I just picked up a 2003 5.3 with 83K on it ,I want to use the new PSI harness and PCM I just installed for the LS1,, my plan convert the truck intake to drive by cable and hopeing to use the LS1 injectors on the truck intake with my LS1 mass air..can you all see any for see able problems,,,,thanks ahead for any response Jim
Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Why do you want to use the truck intake instead of the ls1 intake? If you have a fuel injected LS1 the easiest swap would be to just switch everything from the LS1 to the 5.3 just use the long block from the 5.3 and use your intake/oil pan/drive accessories from the LS1.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Why do you want to use the truck intake instead of the ls1 intake? If you have a fuel injected LS1 the easiest swap would be to just switch everything from the LS1 to the 5.3 just use the long block from the 5.3 and use your intake/oil pan/drive accessories from the LS1.
LLLosingit,,,because every thing Iv read a stock 5.3 Id be giving up tq and hp across the board, I got it running today ,I havent driven it yet but it sounds good and responsive.I hope to get to drive it by Monday,,,thanks for responding jim
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by jim caf
LLLosingit,,,because every thing Iv read a stock 5.3 Id be giving up tq and hp across the board, I got it running today ,I havent driven it yet but it sounds good and responsive.I hope to get to drive it by Monday,,,thanks for responding jim
The truck intake is supposed to make a little better torque down low but falls off in torque and HP well before redline. I guess it all depends on what you plan on using the truck for.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually the truck intake is a good performer . It out performs the LS1 across the board low , mid and upper. Only the LS6 out performs , and it only does so barely in the upper range . So if hood clearance is not an issues which on a C10 it is not , go with it.

Quick Reply: LS1 to 5.3 conversion help