Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather problems. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather problems. Help please!

Car is a 2000 Firebird Formula WS6 / M6

So I've got a couple of problems that ONLY happens in the cold weather 45degrees and below:
First things, sometimes if it's really cold, when I turn the key, sometimes the starter doesn't engage and keeps spinning for about a minute or less. It than finally catches. Once it catches, the car starts with no issues. Again, this will only happen once in a while, and if it's wicked cold outside.

Second, when started in the cold weather (45degrees and below) my car makes a grinding / metal scraping type sound. It lasts for a couple minutes, sometimes longer. If I let the car sit for a bit to warm up and it still hasn't gone away, if I rev to about 2.5k, it'll go away immediately. And yes, the grinding noise gets louder as the car is revved. Couldn't be flexplate / starter due to the change in loudness with the rev?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Batteries don't put out nearly as much current when cold as when warm. So we have two likely causes--weak battery or weak starter. I'd assess the battery situation first. If the battery is getting old, I'd try putting a charger on it for an hour or so when it is cold and then see if the (first) problem still exists. The charger should give a little boost to the battery and effectively warm it up a little bit without warming up anything else.

Even if that helps, you likely have a weak or gummed up starter and if there is any question on a 14 year old car, I'd replace it for good measure. Probably on its way out anyway.

Before you turn the key, the starter and flexplate are not touching at all. When you turn the key, the starter does two things. It quickly moves the starter gear forward to engage in the teeth on the flexplate and then it spins to turn the motor over. Sounds like #1 is not happening consistently. So it's not like it spun and didn't catch, it's like it spun and didn't engage. Hope that paints a picture for you.

After you release the key, the starter gear should retract and not contact the flexplate at all. The scraping metal sound could be the starter failing to disengage completely and scraping on the flexplate a bit. Where is the sound coming from specifically?

Revs can change a lot of things that you wouldn't suspect; just the vibrations and torqueing over of the motor can move things in or out of place. So I still think it is possible.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Oh and this likely should be posted in/moved to "external engine."
Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Thank you for your input.
I just changed the battery about a year ago, as well as upgraded/installed a new alternator last month, so I'm quite certain the battery would not cause the issue.

I was quite certain the starter was definitely on it's way with the first listed problem, so I may go ahead and just swap that out whenever I can get the cash for a new starter and hope the problem ceases.

Though the scraping metal is really bothersome and quite embarrassing. It honestly sounds like it's coming from the top end, but I'll give it another listen closer. And if I can get a video of it soon, I'll post it in the comments as well.

That being said, how can I "move" this topic to another forum? Or should I just repost this in the external engine forum?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

One of the moderators will come along and move it if they see fit. If you think the noise is coming from the top end or inside the motor, maybe it can stay here after all. A video with decent audio would be ideal.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Okay nevermind, it's definitely coming from the bottom of the car. Definitely brings it to Flexplate / Starter I believe..
Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a sticky bendix drive in the starter. When it doesn't engage, the bendix isn't shooting out, and when it's grinding, it's not fully disengaging. I'd pull the starter and squirt some graphite lock cylinder lube or motorcycle cable lube down around the shaft and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Roninsonic, you are probably right. We were kinda there already. My take is that after 15 or so years I'd just replace rather than lube. My $0.02. But I work on any project like I may have to drive it daily.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Yeah, honestly I think I'm just going to replace the starter.
Sorry I hadn't had a video up. The two days after I posted were like 55/70 degrees, so it never grinded. And yesterday I forgot. But I've definitely come to the conclusion that it's the starter. If I replace it and the problem persists, I'll take a video and put an update.
Thanks alot guys!
On that note, any recommendation for a good quality starter!?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

PBell Moving services on duty!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was saying lube it solely because all of the parts store ls starters I've found have SUCKED... I'd clean and lube the factory one before I bought one of those shitbox starters.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Oh, I definitely understand what you're saying. I just went through 4 Advance Autoshit Alternators... before I finally gave up and bought a nice Tuff Stuff 140amp Alt. Due to that experience, I'm never buying any parts from Advance/Autozone unless it's minor stuff like cables, light bulbs, etc. Thanks for the advice though! Maybe I'll lube it up as a temporary fix to last me through winter and get a new starter later.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

What about a low-mile takeout from a later-model LS? Will those fit the F-body?

Quick Reply: Cold weather problems. Help please!