Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about head swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question about head swap

I have done a few head swaps but never on a LSX motor. My Tahoe has a 5.3 with a cracked 706 head. I ordered a new set of 862 heads that should be here next week. I was going to order a gasket set and new head bolts and exhaust manifold bolts.

On the old 350's that have done head jobs on I would permatex the head bolts that breached the water jackets. I would also spray some copper (I think) head gasket sealer on both sides of the gaskets before I set them in place.

My questions, do the head bolts on the 5.3 motors go through any water jackets? Do I need to worry about permetex?

Also, do the head gaskets require any sealer or are they supposed to be applied dry.

Sorry for the newbie questions.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think copper spray a gasket is req'd, but I used it on mine. I just used the ARP lube that came with the bolts, but its not a sealer.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

All the head bolts go in to blind holes. They do not need sealer. BUT, you have to make sure the blind holes are are clean and empty before torquing the bolts. Otherwise, you could crack the block.

To lube or not depends on what type of bolts they are. ARP recommends it for their bolts. But stock replacement bolts have a thread locker on them.

Quick Reply: Quick question about head swap