Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks install=cake walk

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks install=cake walk

I started at 6:30 pm and started removing the y and cats,then moved onto the manifolds.A little after 8 pm I had the drivers header bolted up and after putting a few bolts in the pass side I closed the shop and left at 8:30. The driver side goes straight up and in with removal of nothing including filter or drainplug,same on pass side,truly amazing.I did use new stock gaskets and after installing both headers from the bottom I put in the back bolts and then lowered the car,I cut a path in the gasket for the rear bolt and laying it in place I installed and tightened the rest,very easy and as a matter of fact probably the easiest header install I've ever done. Y-pipe and O2s tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cake walk??? i have kooks and i had to not only jack up the driver side of the motor,but i also had to remove the motormount to get the damn thing on. the passenger side went on with no problems at all.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear. In the future I hope to add some Kooks LT's.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mike c.
cake walk??? i have kooks and i had to not only jack up the driver side of the motor,but i also had to remove the motormount to get the damn thing on. the passenger side went on with no problems at all.
Funny you say that. The LS1 specialty shop that installed my Kook's LT's said the passenger side was easy, but the drivers side was a pain in the a*s! They had to remove the motormount as well. On another note, I have this rather obvious ticking noise upon accelaration. I have done the restrictor mod and my check valves are good. WTF could be the problem.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:57 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Every car is different. I've installed tons of MACS before and literally fell asleep it was so easy, while other's raise hell about it being a PITA. Also installed my Grott longtubes with ease the first time, but when I pulled them out again for the head swap I had to jack up the damn motor to get the driver's side in.

LS1's are tricky, gotta watch 'em
Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro SS 2002
Funny you say that. The LS1 specialty shop that installed my Kook's LT's said the passenger side was easy, but the drivers side was a pain in the a*s! They had to remove the motormount as well. On another note, I have this rather obvious ticking noise upon accelaration. I have done the restrictor mod and my check valves are good. WTF could be the problem.

exhaust leak... id check the header gaskets
Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

I agree with you Glenster. I swaped my grotts for Kooks steped 1-3/4 to 1-7/8. The grotts were a bitch to take off but the Kooks went in no prob. I`ve helped do header installs on 7 different f-bodys grotts,macs,hooker,slp, and none were ever as easy.