Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV Problem??

Ok, I have a 99 and I noticed right by the TB I have a ground wire coming from the PCV going to a bolt on the head where the coolant crossover tubes go. It seems to be getting oil on this ground wire, which is a pretty thick wire. Do I need this wire? It looks like *** and it's leaking and yadda yadda, what is needed for it?
-Steve
Old 05-28-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The shop manual doesn't call it a ground wire, the manual says it's a PCV strap...so I take it's not a ground. Sounds more like the connection on the PCV is loose or the rubber is cracked.

Al
Old 05-28-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

So it's not needed? Because I would LOVE to take that POS off and put some shrink tube on it to fix it or buy a new one.

Anyone else have any other info??
Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

It's a heat sink for the PCV valve. Not really needed, at least here in SoCal.

The oil coming out the valve cover is is probably collecting before the valve and leaking out the side of the rubber PCV grommet where that heat sink comes out. Clean it up and snug the rubber grommet back onto the heat sink/PCV valve with a couple of nylon pullties around it.

...or remove the heat sink and secure the grommet to the PCV valve with a couple of nylon pullties around it.

My PCV heatsink is removed FWIW, but I don't drive in the desert.

Bad30th
Old 05-28-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

were in michigan so no desert type conditions. my 98 does not have this at all so i figured we could just remove it?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

talked to MTI about the strap going to the pcv, it is mainly just to hold the pcv in place, not a ground strap, no big deal if removed. HTH
Old 05-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Launching!

First take all that PCV junk and throw it in the garbage. Next cap all those connections off and run a breather in place of the oil filler. I dont know why everyone is so scared to run a breather on their cars it works flawlessly no problems what so ever. No pressure issues in the engine, no oil blowouts, no oil dripping if you maintain your (keyword) WASHABLE filter. If you wanna get fancy set up two breathers one on each cover, take a little fabricating. Everyone says all this garbage its gonna hurt my engine i want my car to last 100,000 miles ....I want my car to be a fire breathing dragon that kills everything on the damn road, while im still young and unmarried. It wont hurt nothing if anything itll keep all those quarts of oil out your intake. Man when i saw the inside of my intake it looked like someone took one of my oil changes and poured it in there. What did our fathers and grandfathers do when they had big blocks on there chevelles, novas, gtos, chargers.......they ran breathers on those monsters, **** my dads hemi had one breather on it. Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"santino04" is right. These engines are so freakin clutered looking anyway. I removed mine, capped everything off and installed a Metco breather in place of the oil cap. Unless you live somewhere emission laws are strict, you can remove the PCV, EGR, Air pump and the engine bay looks a alot better.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you guys use to cap it up?
Old 05-31-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah what???
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Launching!

You buy some rubber caps or plugs or whatever you wanna callem and put them on all the fittings that the pcv connects to. Very simple to do. Im sure a sponsor or someone can lead you where to get some rubber caps, even try your local hardware store. Good Luck
Old 06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

So you plug the one opening on the driver side and two small ones on the pass. side valve cover as well as the intake manifold? Sorry for sounding stupid but just want to be sure before I start tearing **** of the engine.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:17 AM
Launching!

You got that right. Any and all holes that are part of the junk PCV or its system, cap/plug off! Yes all the valve cover holes and intake as well. I think its 5 of them..........the driver side on the back of valve cover, the passenger side valve cover towards the back, the breather line towards the middle of passenger valve cover, the actual pcv connects to the intake manifold, and where the breather line connects to the intake manifold. Good Luck be gald to help with anymore questions.