Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a bullet muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me pick a bullet muffler

Hi fellas,
Putting a muffler in the I pipe to hopefully kill rasp coming out of the GMMG.

Went from jet hot (like pacesetter design) 1 3/4 headers and ORY.
To new TSP 1 7/8 and ORY.

Previous setup has some rasp but very tolerable, this new setup has a ton of rasp from 2000-2300rpms when cruising. Loud is fine, just trying to clean it up.

Pretty much down to 2 choices.

Powerstick Bullet Muffler #3026SB
Magnaflow bullet Magnaflow #14419

Car is basically stored for the winter but just getting ready to get a few things done soon as spring is here.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I run the 14419 muffler and love! Still loud as hell but no rasp
Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran a 14419 when I did my Magnamouth conversion. Absolutely LOVED it. Finally have the exhaust some bass, and most importantly, "tone"
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Unless you need the stainless get the equivalent Dynomax branded bullet. They are about half the price and in some cases identical mufflers, identical as in just the label on the box is different.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would second the Dynomax bullets. Cheap, compact, and sound great. You can get them in three different lengths too, with the shortest ones being the loudest. I still think the best sounding bullets are the Borla XR-1's, but they are pricey.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a powerstick in my I pipe. Killed about 85 percent of the rasp
Old 01-16-2015, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a magnaflow bullet on my exhaust. I would say magnaflow.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of the two you posted go with the magnaflow, best chance of getting rid of the rasp. If you put on the powerstick your now going to have 3 chambered mufflers. The chambered mufflers put off a snarl rasp sound. I love that sound thou. I have heard a LS1 with heads cam long tubes off road y pipe with the GMMG and absolutly loved that sound. How ever I have the chambered powersticks on my true dual setup.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I definitely go with the 14419(14" case L) over the power stick, since the louvers will disrupt the flow path, and are pricy (about $73) considering that they aren't SS. Another good option if stainless steal isn't a must is a Dynomax 24219 (about $50, w/18" case L) or 24222 (about $45, w/12" case L ).
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I definitely go with the 14419(14" case L) over the power stick, since the louvers will disrupt the flow path, and are pricy (about $73) considering that they aren't SS. Another good option if stainless steal isn't a must is a Dynomax 24219 (about $50, w/18" case L) or 24222 (about $45, w/12" case L ).
I completely agree with Blu on this.

If you go to advance auto and use a coupon code you'd be surprised how cheap that 14419 can be, and I swear there's not a "tone" out there that can match it. An XR1 still has a bit of "rawness" to it, where as the Magnapack has tone and bass.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I have mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust on my Cobra. Same as the Powerstick, but with a smooth outside pipe for looks. They sound great! No rasp, deep mellow sound. Smooth and fairly quiet at low speed cruising, but mean and nasty at high rpm's. I get a lot of comments on how great the car sounds, especially at the track.

I plan to use the Powersticks on the new LS project.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Leaning towards the magnaflow with all the positive reviews and remarks, like it adds deepness and tone. Being SS is a plus as well.

Honestly I really liked the way the car sound when it had cats in it, I'm thinking the magnaflow might be a nice in-between sound. If it reduces the rasp even 50% I'll be a happy camper.

Looking at the big picture I want to keep this exhaust even when the car gets more cubes, I'm guessing the magnaflow might have more to offer vs the powerstick which as mentioned doesn't offer much sound insulation at all. I still got some time to mull it over, but its where I'm at so far
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

I just wanted to circle back around on this post.

I ended up installing the magnaflow 14419 just before the axle.
This is my overall take on it.

It certainly mellowed out the car a good bit. I get no more real loud bark at cold start (kinda miss that), The car has less of a scream to it, I could tip into the throttle with the stall and blip it a little and I would get the similar raw bark sound. Now its more of an angry rumble.

At WOT the car is still loud, but not near as loud as before and less top frequencies for sure. I would say it reduced overall volume by about 15-20%.

I now have zero rasp at 2100-2600, which is great! Just a nice growl that's linear through the rpms.

My only comparison is how the car used to sound with cats, it sounds very similar to that from what I can recall. It still sounds exactly like the normal GMMG sound that you would expect just with a high frequency cutoff and lower volume overall.

I'm a little on the fence, because I like the obnoxious sound, but guess you can't cut rasp and still make it real angry. I do hear my rearend whine a bit more with this setup. I'm going to keep it this way for a while, I may need it for when I eventually start adding more power.

Some of my friends prefer this sound, others miss the old wild side. It does sound good, no denying that. Figured I would share my thoughts.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Dan,
Are you still liking the setup? I'm torn right now between throwing something in the I pipe, or tossing it all and going true dual.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Hey Dan,
Are you still liking the setup? I'm torn right now between throwing something in the I pipe, or tossing it all and going true dual.
Why not both?

I did true duals with 14419 magna flow bullets, and even on the highway it's nice! Granted I have 3.54 gears in a 6 speed, but very nice.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Dan,
I do like it but its a lot tamer than it used to be. My wife prefers how it was before .

I plan to keep it this way as I'm still planning a stroker build hopefully in a year or so out.

If your the type of guy who really hates rasp and prefers the sound with cats, then its a good alternative. It still sounds really good, just takes off the edge. Car is a weekend toy for me so it doesn't matter to much but if you are trying to keep under the radar with a loud setup but like your overall sound it helps. Worst case scenario I can always swap around pipes.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I do like it but its a lot tamer than it used to be. My wife prefers how it was before .

I plan to keep it this way as I'm still planning a stroker build hopefully in a year or so out.

If your the type of guy who really hates rasp and prefers the sound with cats, then its a good alternative. It still sounds really good, just takes off the edge. Car is a weekend toy for me so it doesn't matter to much but if you are trying to keep under the radar with a loud setup but like your overall sound it helps. Worst case scenario I can always swap around pipes.
I see. I figured I'd just see after you've lived with it a bit longer. I know your car isn't lowered, but does it eat up any more ground clearance?

The rasp can be pretty bad with the corsa I have. I loved the sound before, but after long tubes it's just a bit much.

Did you end up installing it yourself? Or did you have an exhaust shop do it? The muffler itself isn't expensive, so I may just give it a shot first.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I see. I figured I'd just see after you've lived with it a bit longer. I know your car isn't lowered, but does it eat up any more ground clearance?

The rasp can be pretty bad with the corsa I have. I loved the sound before, but after long tubes it's just a bit much.

Did you end up installing it yourself? Or did you have an exhaust shop do it? The muffler itself isn't expensive, so I may just give it a shot first.
Imo, just measure 1/2" down from your current I-pipe location, but I seriously doubt you'll loose any grd clearance unless you I-pipe already hangs low.
As far as having a exhaust shop install it you'll likely need the I-pipe slightly expanded after it's cut so you can slide the muffler outlet into the shorter pipe, and you might need the muffler inlet slightly expanded to depending on the exact size of your Y-pipe merger outlet.
I'd remove the I-pipe an test fit the muffler to see if the muffler inlet needs to be expanded, then measure the overall muffler length and subtract 4" from it to get the length you need to cut off the I-pipe, which should be 16" for the magnaflow 314419. This way you'll have 2" of pipe overlap per end when you slip fit them, and with the I-pipe removed you can then also just take it to a exhaust shop (along with the muffler) and have them cut out the 16" section with a chop saw then expand the new I-pipe inlet to slip fit the muffler exit into it, and expand the muffler inlet if it's needed for it to slip fit over the Y-pipe merger exit . You'll probable want to buy 2 Lap joint 3" band clamps also.
Like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692300/overview/

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-06-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Default Help me pick a bullet muffler

From personal experience, you're not going to expand stainless. It'll look like it's just about to, and BAM it'll split.

Best thing to do is weld it if you're going stainless on stainless. When I did my Magnamouth conversion that's what I did. I cut the inlet/outlet off the magnapack and had it TIG'd to the I-Pipe
Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
From personal experience, you're not going to expand stainless. It'll look like it's just about to, and BAM it'll split.

Best thing to do is weld it if you're going stainless on stainless. When I did my Magnamouth conversion that's what I did. I cut the inlet/outlet off the magnapack and had it TIG'd to the I-Pipe
I'm thinking if I tried the I-pipe muffler, I'd likely have a shop just bend a whole new I-pipe, rather than hacking up a $1000 cat back.

That way if I don't like it, I can put the original I pipe back, or maybe sell the whole cat back.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a bullet muffler