Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do??

So I bought a 2nd fbody Camaro and want to build it. I am torn between all the options out there. I am steering away from going turbo because every turbo car I went to look at prior to buying what I bought ran like crap. I want something reliable that will no need tuning all the time. I've thought long and hard of a procharger. Is this the right decision? Existing LS1 has 40k on it and would expect something to eventually go wrong. About 7k will get me a procharger. My Pro's on it would be I like the sound of the winding (LOL), In the future can always ad more boost, fairly simple kit to install myself. Cons: $7K! Thats alot of money. Do I run a blower until something breaks on the motor? By that time will I have recouped some $$ to build a forged motor? Also thought of the Nitrous route. Its a fraction of the cost of a procharger but would have to deal with the filling of a bottle. Very easy install. Or...............Buy a 408 Stroker from Texas Speed and plan to spray in the future. From what i've seen and heard I could be close to 600 Hp on all motor for almost the cost of a Procharger. Then sell my 40k mile LS1. My downfall to a new motor is putting it in in my garage. I am no by no means a mechanic. Id be quite nervous of not doing something right. I do have a friend/neighbor who says we can do it no problem. Do I trust that or is it going to sit in the garage for years? I've got quotes for over $20k just to forge my existing motor and put a procharger on it which would handle 700hp. A S60 might be in that price to. I dont plan to replace the rearend until she breaks. My ultimate goal is to be around 600-700 HP Streetable. But will I stop there? I would like to keep this under 10k but do it right the first time. Thanks for any advice in advance!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

600-700 for 10k will be tough unless youre building and installing everything yourself.

start looking for used stuff too i guess.

Quick Reply: What to do??